How long does Xanax stay in your system?

24-72 hours

randyburk 12 Oct 2011

I have heard the withdrawal sypmtoms peak after 72 hours but the lingering
detox symptoms could take months. I hope not.
I have been off xanax for a week now. Very low dosage for about 5 years.
I would have tried to get off of it along time ago if I knew how addtive it was.
I don't crave it, I am actually angry of how it affected me and how it
is trying to hang on with, insomnia, nervous tremors, and the feeling I am going to jump out of my skin. The symptoms appear to be gettting better.
I am not trying to discourage anyone from taking xanax. I believe now that it could have been more helpful in the short term if I had gotten
professional help for my panic attacks and anxiety. Please do the research and see what the pros and cons are for its continued used. thanks

JeffreyMaurer 10 Dec 2011

I too was taking xanax for many years,at a relatively low dose at first. I definately agree with you sotjwaslike I had know idea just how addictive it was until I quit taking it. The withdrawal symptoms lasted 15 to 20 days for me and it was terrible,I had and tremors hot and cold flashes and twitched constantly. It literally felt like I was coming out of my skin. If you have been prescribed xanax and its working for you just be careful it is highly addictive. Not trying to discourage anyone just be careful.

The mean plasma elimination half-life of Xanax is reported to be 11.2 hours. The full range is from 6.3 to 26.9 hours in healthy adults.

For a drug to be totally eliminated from your system it takes 5.5 times the half life.

If we take the maximum time of 26.9 hours times 5.5, it will be in your system for approximately 148 hours i.e. 6 days, after your final dose.

http://www.drugs.com/pro/xanax.html

Sorry, took some today. This happens to be the hardest narcotic to recover from. Everytime u urinate(sorry, I know that is distusting), you only release 1% from your system so if you are asking because of a UA, I strongly recommond you take as little as 1 mg and a half because thats the only way it won't show up in 4 days. Its an ugly addition, unfortunately it is the only drug that makes life liveable sometimes. I would have been dead if I hadn't stayed with them for seven years.

oxyaaron 16 Dec 2010

xanax is not a narcotic.

****Read Me****

penny12 23 Aug 2010

can a person take suboxen and xanaxs' on the same days just different times

krissa 30 Nov 2010

xanax and suboxone go to the same part of the brain that is called ''the pleasure center.If the sub gets there first it will block the effects of xanax.
As well the reverse is true xanax will decrease the effects of suboxone.So since suboxone only lasts 24 hrs I take the sub in the AM and wait as long as possible to take xanax,late afternoon or bedtime for the best results.If your dr did not advise you on this matter ask!If you are doing this on your own you are playing Russian Roulette.

On the question of Xanax taken with Suboxone. These two drugs should never be taken together. They create a synergistic effect that increases the potency of each medication. Suboxone does not block the effects of Xanax. They work on two totally different parts of the brain. Taken together than can cause you to stop breathing. So you won't even know you are dying. I know this from personal experience. Thanks to the help of God and a very special group of people, I don't choose to do that today... and that, in itself, is a miracle.

To be on the safe side, give it 3 weeks before getting tested (urine test).

I take Xanax twice a year right before a dental appt so I know exactly what day I took the medicine and how much I took. I took ONE 0.5mg dose of Xanax and had it show up on a pre-employment drug screen 6 WEEKS later so it can be detected in the urine a long time. It may not be acting on your system for that long but it can show up in urine for a long time after you take it. I'm NOT a chronic user as I take one or maybe two the same day as my dental appts twice a year and that is it. If you are asking because of a drug screen, I wouldnt take it for at least two months before you do a clean UDS free of Xanax metabolites.

darkangel11 14 Mar 2012

Have you taken any other meds such as antibiotics before the drug test? Some meds can slow down the benzo elimination process.

sshirley1 22 May 2013

I had anxiety issues since puberty. My hands would always shake. When I was first in my fifties I was prescribed 4 of the same type of drugs. All of them made me want to sleep about 14 hours a day. Xanax was the last and worst one. I only took 1 mg pill. Besides being tired, my brain was so foggy i could not function for sevearl days at work. I lost my job. The foggy ness went away after a couple of weeks. The tiredness did not. A couple years later my son was diag nosed with ADHD and was prescribed adderall. I went to the same therapist and convinced him to prescribe me the adderall. I have been on it for about six years. My hands no longer shake. It helps me with the wanting to sleep 14 hours a day. My anxiety is much less. I do have to be careful how much I take. Too little, no help with wanting to sleep, too much and it actually causes me anxiety. somwhere between 22 mg is 30 mg is what works once in the morning.