Is it easy to overdose on Klonopin?

Absolutely it is. I have. If you take more than 2a you have overdosed and lots of bad things can happen. With Klonopin it is most likely to get dangerously violent and incoherant. Add memory lapse to that and you've got yourself an effed stew.

anjeegyrl 29 Feb 2012

If you take more than 2a? I didn't understand this...

Pixley 1 Mar 2012

This GreenMommy character is all over the map, so I wouldn't put too much stock in what she says. Most of her answers don't make sense, and a lot of the ones that do are just plain wrong. She claims she's a nurse, but from what I've read, she has no clue what she's talking about when it comes to medicine. Oh, and she also claims that she's been on pretty much every drug that people ask about... so if that's true, she's probably not all there! ANYWAY, it depends on how many milligrams you have taken, not "if you take more than 2"... LOL!

Hello BigBakerMan. Yes, it can be. Clonazepam non generic Klonopin is a long acting benzodiazepine. It has a very long half life meaning it takes your body, a longer time to get rid of the drug, than say a Xanax might, which is a short lasting Benzodiazepine. Its generally taken two or three times per day. The maxiumn dose is about 25mg. Because the drug stays in your system for so long, taken more of it, say as an example thinking you have not yet taken your dose so you unintentionaly double up. You'd have a lot of Klonopin working through your liver. Add to that, possibly that your body has a severe reaction to the amount of Klonopin in your body, that could involve a drop in blood pressure, might be very dangerous. Best of wishes,pledge

Actually benzodiazepines are difficult to overdose on. That is to say overdose leading to permanent harm. It is possible however to fall asleep for such a length of time that you cut off circulation to a limb or other body part - bad news. don't risk it.

coffylover 4 Feb 2014

I mean all due respect with this reply, but: Overdosing on benzodiazepines is indeed possible, and sadly, not all that difficult. I'm no doctor, but I personally experienced a freakishly low blood pressure after overdosing on Klonopin... So low, in fact, that the hospital asked my family (and myself, in stupor) if we wanted a priest to come give last rites. Not an easy experience.

I definitely agree with you about the very real risk of injury by falling asleep / passing out / falling while on Klonopin. Even at low doses, people really need to monitor (or have a trusted person monitor) how they react to prescribed doses, PRNs, etc.

Safe wishes & good thoughts to you all!

Yes it is easy to overdose on ! I have a very dear friend that goes on "binges" . Takes @ seven or eight .5mg..then can't remember how many he took ..so he proceeds to take five or six more. Then I have the honor of watching him weave and sway, slur his speech, drool, become irrate over a cat hair on his shoe, and finally pass out in a chair snoring very loud..then quit breathing for seconds intermittedly ! Be careful.

Google LD50 Clonazepam - you will find out how difficult it is to OD fatally on it.

All I have to say is IT is easy... my husband did it twice. Last year he was in ICU and didn't they thought he wouldn't make it, and on November 11, 2013 he did it again and he did not make it, he passed away in his sleep!

Eliza06 22 Feb 2014

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm concerned about taking this drug. It makes me very sleepy taking just one and im supposed to take 2 at a time twice daily. If I many ask how many did he take? Again I'm so sorry for your loss. May GOD Bless.

yoopermom 15 Mar 2014

I take 3mg each night to supress nightmares. There have been times I have taken 10mg or more to get me down off a full blown anxiety attack. I take a Lexapro for depression as well but on a very small dose. I also take Gabapentin and promethazine. At times I have taken over 20 650mg acetometaphines over a 12 hour period. I'm concerned about my liver and possible overdose. NSAIDs are out of the question, I can not take them nor can I take narcotic pain meds. Am I on a dangerous road with my meds or am I safe for the time being until the doctors figure out if I have MS, RA, Lupus or all of the above? Please help me. :(