Do xanax and klonopin show differently in urine tests?

Hi. I have to strongly disagree with the last two answers. I'm saying because I can back it up with being someone who has taken hundreds of urines myself. Plus I also administered thousands of urines while I worked at a sober house.

The simple answer would be "yes". Unfortunately its not that simple. Many many many of the urines I administered came back negative for benzos when the person only took klonopin or in generic called clonazepam. Xanax or the generic called alprazolam however shows up every time. The company which I'm not going to mention their name (it wouldn't be appropriate) we used was a state of the art, high tech lab able to do forensic testing and they just didn't test for klonopin (clonazepam) like some other labs test for it.

mhelcl 12 May 2013

In summary, there are test that can easily distinguish between the two if they are aiming to do so, however, your particular lab might not be trying to distinguish between the two. Either way, do not risk it, unless you want to find out the hard way.

janettemarie 9 Feb 2015

Um but aren't they both benzodiazepines ? How would it not show up if I've been taking them over a month

kedkad1214 14 Apr 2015

Yes Jeanette, both are benzodiazepines, however they have different compounds. Your employer should have a book or something with what drugs they are testing for. Depending on your state and your job, it's required. It's the law. If you have a legal prescription and you are taking them as prescribed for a medical condition, then there should be no worries, depending on your job, of course. DOT mainly.
Good luck!

Hello cheskahenry. No. They will both show up the same, as a benzodiazepine. Best of wishes,pledge

I must agree with my friend Pledge.

Take care,