Depo-Provera - What are things to eat to make depo provera effective to prevent pregnancy?

There are no foods that help make depo-provera more effective. You do not need to follow a special diet.

RaawrEmoZombie 8 Mar 2013

Dnt you have to eat things with milk like icecream or yogurt?

Depo-Provera long term can cause bone loss. They probably told you to add calcium rich foods to help prevent bone loss, not to make Depo-Provera more effective. Depo-Provera will protect you from pregnancy just fine no matter what you eat. Calcium is found in dairy products-milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream (although ice cream is not a good source and it is higher in fat and calories). There are also calcium enriched foods like cereals and juices that have added calcium. Really, it is best to just not use Depo-Provera longer than 2 years. It is use of Depo over 2 years where they see significant loss of bone density.

DzooBaby 8 Mar 2013

If you have a strong family history of osteoporosis, you probably should not use Depo-Provera and choose another form of birth control. There are no studies addressing whether calcium and Vitamin D may lessen bone loss in women using Depo-Provera, all patients should have adequate calcium and Vitamin D intake.