Coumadin - Is it damageous to have blood to thin.? INR was 6.5 what should I do?

See a doctor immediately. They will have to give you a shot of vitamin K. Is this on a home test? If so take the equipment with you. Also the coumadin you are taking. Are you taking any NSAIDS? If so STOP. If it means you have to go to the ER to see a doctor, then go. You could bleed too easily.

Contact your Dr. 6.5 isnt horribly high. We didnt give Vitamin K until you were over 8.0 but 6.5 still puts you at higher risk for bleeding internally. More than likely your Dr will have you hold doses of coumadin and test again but you need to do so under his orders NOT on your own!! Like Kaismama states, if you got this result on a home monitor, you should take it with you to be sure it is calibrated properly and not giving you a false high reading. They may double check your result with a regular blood draw lab test or they may go ahead and treat you. If you start getting signs of bleeding like bloody or tar-like stools, nosebleeds, abdominal pain, large unexplained bruising, etc. then go to the ER or call 911. This happens on occasion (high INR).

DzooBaby 22 May 2012

I dont want to downplay the importance of follow up but I dont want you to panic either. I once had a lady whose INR was 19.7 and she was fine after treatment. She was lucky and didnt have any bleeding but she was at a very high risk for bleed. If she had started bleeding with that kind of INR, it could have been disasterous! Just think over the past couple of days and see if there was any reasons why your INR jumped, contact your Dr for instructions! Good Luck and be safe! Watch your activities for a few days until that INR comes down.

Anonymous 22 May 2012

Just wanted to add that if you take vitamin C also please stop. You should not supplement with Vitamin C either... Mary