Best medications for severe anxiety?

Benzodiazapines... Valium,klonopin,lorazepam,xanax... Jst to name a few. Doctors now are perscribing xanax less and les because for people with severe anxiety would have to take to many to ward off the symptoms... You may benifit best by asking your doctor about klonopin... Or valium... Iv'e had severe anxiety for my entire life... I am 47... I cannot work because of it and I also have bouts of depression... Talk to your doctor... Tell him how you feel... Also remember this group... We are here for you

I have been taking Clonazapam 1mg (generic for Klonopin) every night before bedtime for about 10 years now, and it truly does help me with my anxiety disorder. It relaxes me and helps me sleep much better than I did before taking it. I can take up to 2 tablets per day, but I very rarely do that because it makes me too sleepy. My doctor also has me on Prozac 20mg once per day. I take that in the morning when I first get out of bed. It helps my nervous condition. I have also been on Propranolol 160mg extended release capsules for about 15 years due to my familiar tremors/shakes. I would not be able to function without them. It is a hereditary condition that I and several family members have (including my youngest son who is 32 years young). My mother had the condition also, so I guess we inherited it from her, (Thanks Mom) :) Some people ask me how I can function taking these 3 medications, but I do just fine.

The best medication is different for all of us. Unfortunately it's a trial and error situation. It can take 6 weeks to know if a medication if working for you. If it doesn't you will try another until you find the right combination for YOU. There is no quick fix and that's the pits. Suggestion is to see a doctor as soon as you can to get started. Therapy has been a huge help for me.