Bacterial Infection - Can Augmentin be taking for a abscess tooth/?

Anonymous

Hi mariet56. Theres a fair amount of warnings associated when taking Augmentin. If you are have allergies to the drug itself. If you are already taking the drug, and have no negative, reactions, adverse ones, I'd say yes. I'm not a doctor, so you might ask your doctor or pharmacist to confirm or ask thier opinion. Best of wishes,

If allergic to penicillins, erythromycin is given.

Augmentin is a very effective antibiotic against certain types of bacteria which cause dental infections.
It should only be used on the recommendation of a dentist.
For more information see:

http://www.drugs.com/cg/dental-abscess.html

Dear mariet56... Augmentin is commonly used for tooth abscesses. Do u have the drug on hand or was it prescribed for u by a dentist. Augmentin is a penicillin. It is amoxicillin and clavulonic acid. Of course if u have an allergy to penicillin u should not take it. It can also cause superinfections in other areas of your body which is not necessarily a bad thing... just need to b aware. ie, a superinfection might be vaginitis caused by the drug wiping out some of the good bacteria in the vaginal flora, hence the vaginitis which is easily treated with OTC medication inserts or by orally prescribed diflucan. Anyway if u do have an abcessed tooth u really need to c a dentist for there is something causing the bacteria to enter like a cracked tooth or crown... so do see a dentist. Hope this helps... and that u soon feel better. Pup

co-amoxiclav is amoxycillin and clavulanic acid as every one knows. Clavulanic acid does not have much antibacterial properties. Its job is to dissolve the outer membrane of the bacteria if the amoxycillin finds it difficult to penetrate the bacteria if the bacteria has developed some sort of resistance to amoxicillin.