Fresh Express Semen ExtenderThis page contains information on Fresh Express Semen Extender for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Fresh Express Semen Extender Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Fresh Express Semen Extender
- Direction and dosage information for Fresh Express Semen Extender
Fresh Express Semen ExtenderThis treatment applies to the following species:
Semen Extender Instructions
1. Synbiotics FRESH EXPRESS® Semen Extender is packaged in 10 ml aseptic vials. Extender can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 30 days. If longer storage is required, it can be stored in the freezer until the expiration date stated on the bottle (do not thaw and refreeze). Extender must be at room temperature before use.
2. Dilute 1 part Sperm Rich Fraction to 2 - 4 parts Extender. It is important to add the Extender slowly to avoid osmotic shock to the sperm cells.
3. The highest level of success is achieved when the SRF alone is used. Typically dogs produce 0.5 - 2.0 ml of SRF. Fractionation becomes easier with practice. If the volume of SRF collected is greater than 2.0 ml, contamination with pre- and/or post-ejaculate has most likely occurred. To insure maximal sperm survival, Synbiotics Semen Separating Solution should be used.
4. If the semen is being chilled and shipped, appropriate shipping materials (as in the FRESH EXPRESS® Kit), should be used to maximize sperm survival. Complete Part A of the enclosed Semen Collection/Insemination Record and Parts 2 and 3 of the AKC Artificial Insemination Using Fresh Extended Semen form and include both with the semen going to the inseminating veterinarian. Most shipments should be made using an overnight service.
- Clearly provide identification of the contents of the sample tube:
- Stud Dog:
- Collection Date:
- Bitch Owner:
- Place the sample tube inside the zip-lock bag and place the bag inside the small-insulated box.
- Wrap the small-insulated box with newspaper to further insulate the sample.
- Place the newspaper-wrapped small box inside the large insulated shipping box with a chill pack on each side.
- Complete Part A of the Semen Collection/Insemination Record and enclose the entire form in the box.
- Include an insemination kit with each shipment. The Inseminating Packet must be included in the initial shipment.
- Ship semen sample to the insemination. Most shipments should be sent using an overnight service. REMEMBER: It is important to coordinate these shipments in advance.
- Notify the inseminating location of the shipment and include information about the date, method of shipment and its tracking or air bill number.
Performing Fresh Chilled Semen
A.I. in the Bitch
Instructions for the Inseminating Veterinarian
In fresh chilled semen breedings, the insemination should be performed during the fertile period, usually on days 4 and 6 after the LH surge. By properly planning multiple inseminations, you’ll optimize the chances of success. (The Synbiotics Fresh Chilled Semen Breeding Training Manual contains more details on timing procedures and insemination technique).
1. Check orange capped centrifuge tube for name of stud dog, collection date, and bitch owner.
2. The semen should be inseminated within 15 minutes after removal from the chilled package. Gently rotate the tube to re-suspend the sperm cells, as they tend to settle out. Evaluate a drop of semen for motility.
3. Draw 3 ml of air into the syringe (to clear the pipette at the end of the insemination).
4. Draw all the semen into the syringe and attach the pipette.
5. Have the bitch on a table or on the floor, depending on her size and how you and the dog are most comfortable. Make sure an assistant is available to restrain her as necessary.
6. Spread the labia and pass the tip of the insemination pipette dorsally toward the vaginal opening, ventral to the rectum. The pipette should be in an almost vertical direction at this stage. To further pass the pipette, redirect it in a horizontal position and gently advance it toward the cervix. The vaginal folds may produce temporary resistance, but may be avoided by spinning and rolling the pipette as it is advanced.
7. The pipette tip will usually stop at the dorsal fold of the anterior vagina. It is recommended, but not necessary to advance beyond the dorsal fold. Do this by applying slight pressure in a ventral direction while advancing the pipette. The insemination pipettes are marked at 5 cm intervals. The pipette should be advanced as far as possible. Generally, in most giant bitches, the pipette should be passed a full 25 cm. In large bitches, pass the pipette 22-24 cm.
8. In small to medium bitches, advance the pipette 15-18 cm. In toy breeds, pass the pipette 5-10 cm, or just past the first mark. Check the position of the pipette by abdominal palpation. In many bitches you can feel the cervix, which should be just cranial to the tip of the insemination pipette.
9. Elevate the hindquarters of the bitch.
10. Keeping the hindquarters elevated, turn the syringe vertically with the plunger in the uppermost position, and inject the inseminant, finishing with the air left in the syringe to clear the pipette.
11. Withdraw the pipette, keeping the bitch’s hindquarters elevated.
12. Gently stimulate the vaginal wall with gloved finger for 5 minutes (“feathering”).
13. Keep the hindquarters elevated for an additional 5 to 10 minutes after stimulation is completed.
- Return one copy of Collection/Insemination record to collecting veterinarian or agent.
- Return completed AKC form to the bitch owner, if applicable.
It is recommended that a pregnancy diagnosis be made using WITNESS® RELAXIN after day 31 post-LH surge (although some dogs may be detected as early as day 20, or by palpation and/or ultrasound at approximately 28 days after the LH surge). Whelping can be expected at approximately 65 days plus or minus one day after the LH surge.
SYNBIOTICS CORPORATION, 12200 NW Ambassador Drive, Suite 101, Kansas City MO 64163
800-228-4305 or 816-464-3500
NAC No.: 11150084
333 PORTAGE STREET, KALAMAZOO, MI, 49007
|Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the Fresh Express Semen Extender information published above. However, it remains the responsibility of the readers to familiarize themselves with the product information contained on the US product label or package insert.|
Copyright © 2014 North American Compendiums. Updated: 2013-12-23