Orajel Baby Side Effects
Generic Name: benzocaine topical
Note: This page contains side effects data for the generic drug benzocaine topical. It is possible that some of the dosage forms included below may not apply to the brand name Orajel Baby.
It is possible that some side effects of Orajel Baby may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to benzocaine topical: cream, film, gel/jelly, gum, liquid, lotion, lozenge/troche, ointment, paste, powder for suspension, solution, spray, swab, tablet disintegrating
Other dosage forms:
As well as its needed effects, benzocaine topical (the active ingredient contained in Orajel Baby) may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
If any of the following side effects occur while taking benzocaine topical, check with your doctor immediately:Incidence not known
- high fever
- worsening of pain, redness, swelling, or irritation in or around the mouth
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzocaine topical: compounding powder, mucous membrane gel, mucous membrane liquid, mucous membrane lozenge, mucous membrane paste, mucous membrane powder for reconstitution, mucous membrane spray, mucous membrane swab, mucous membrane tablet disintegrating, rectal ointment, rectal suppository, topical cream, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical spray, topical stick, topical swab
Dermatologic side effects have included contact dermatitis and urticaria.[Ref]
Local side effects have included burning and stinging.[Ref]
Other side effects have included edema.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included angioedema.
Hematologic side effects have included methemoglobinemia. FDA continues to receive reports of methemoglobinemia from postmarketing reporting.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Hurricaine (benzocaine topical)." Beutlich, Waukegan, IL.
2. "Product Information. Vagisil Feminine Cream (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
3. "Product Information. Americaine Hemorrhoidal (benzocaine topical)." Novartis Consumer Health, Parsippany, NJ.
4. "Product Information. Lanacane (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
5. "Product Information. Cepacol Lozenges (cetylpyridinium topical)." GlaxoSmithKline Inc, Oakville, IA.
6. "Product Information. Dermoplast (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
7. "Product Information. Lanacane with Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
8. "Product Information. Chloraseptic (benzocaine topical)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH.
9. "Product Information. Solarcaine Plus Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Schering-Plough Healthcare Products, Memphis, TN.
10. "Product Information. Outgro Pain Relief (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
11. Throm MJ, Stevens MD, Hansen C "Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in two patients: interdisciplinary collaboration, management, and near misses." Pharmacotherapy 27 (2007): 1206-14
More about Orajel Baby (benzocaine topical)
- Orajel Baby
- Orajel Baby Nighttime
- Baby Orajel (Advanced Reading)
- Baby Orajel Liquid (Advanced Reading)
- Baby Orajel Nighttime Formula (Advanced Reading)