FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake?
FDA performs regulatory review for color additives used in foods, drugs, cosmetics, and medical devices. FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake is a FDA-approved color commonly used to dye dosage forms such as tablets and capsules. FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake is approved for use in foods, drugs and cosmetics. FD&C Blue No. 1 is also known as Brilliant Blue FCF.
FD&C colors are the colors certified by the FDA for safe use according to specifications. The FD&C notation specifies the color is approved for use in foods, drugs and cosmetics. D&C notation specifies that the color can be used in drugs and cosmetics, but not food. According to the FDA, FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake may be used safely as a color additive.
 Electronic Code of Federal Registers. Title 21: Food and Drugs. Part 74. Listing of color additives subject to certification. Subpart B. Drugs. Accessed online October 19, 2011. http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr;sid=c387334e82029536a53dde1171ba5481;rgn=div5;view=text;node=21%3A22.214.171.124.27;idno=21;cc=ecfr#21:126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Color Additives: FDA's Regulatory Process and Historical Perspectives. Accessed 10/20/2011. http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/RegulatoryProcessHistoricalPerspectives/default.htm
Top Medications Containing FD&C Blue No. 1 Lake
- Acetaminophen, Butalbital and Caffeine 325 mg / 50 mg / 40 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Dicyclomine Hydrochloride 20 mg (Watson Laboratories, Inc.)
- Isosorbide Dinitrate 30 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Lortab 5/500 500 mg / 5 mg (UCB Pharma, Inc.)
- Midodrine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc)
- Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate Macrocrystals 100 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Paroxetine Hydrochloride 40 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Phendimetrazine Tartrate 35 mg (Mikart, Inc.)