D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake
Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake?
D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake is a drug and cosmetic synthetic dye. The FDA lists it as a safe additive for drugs and cosmetics as per FDA standards. In cosmetics, it can be used externally and in general cosmetics, including lipsticks and in cosmetics close to the eye.
According to the FDA, lakes are formed by reacting straight dyes (such as D&C Red No. 27) with precipitants and salts. Aluminum is often a component. Lakes may be used as color additives for tablet coatings due to their stability, and may also be used for cosmetics such as eye shadows or lipsticks. Its use in coloring pharmaceuticals and cosmetics may only be of quantities allowable by the FDA.
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Cosmetics. Color Additives Permitted for Use. Accessed 8/20/2012. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/VoluntaryCosmeticsRegistrationProgramVCRP/OnlineRegistration/ucm109084.htm
 U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Color Additives and Cosmetics. Updated 4/29/2007. Accessed 8/20/2012. http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/ColorAdditivesinSpecificProducts/InCosmetics/ucm110032.htm
Top Medications Containing D&C Red No. 27 Aluminum Lake
- Amitriptyline Hydrochloride 10 mg (United Research Laboratories/Mutual Pharmaceutical Company)
- Doxazosin Mesylate 4 mg (Ethex Corporation)
- Glimepiride 4 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Lortab 10/500 500 mg / 10 mg (UCB Pharma, Inc.)
- Panlor SS 712.8 mg / 60 mg / 32 mg (Pamlab LLC)
- Pentoxil 400 mg (Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc)
- Phrenilin acetaminophen 325 mg / butalbital 50 mg (Valeant Pharmaceuticals International)