Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Butylparaben, with the chemical formula of C11H14O3 is an antimicrobial preservative used in many cosmetics, as a food flavoring agent and as a suspending agent for medications. Butylparaben used in industry is synthetically created, but natural parabens also exist in nature.
All parabens have similar structure to estrogen. Studies conducted in the early 2000s located traces of parabens in breast tumors, but evidence has not linked parabens with breast cancer.
The Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) reviewed the safety of methylparaben, propylparaben, and butylparaben in 1984 and concluded they were safe for use in cosmetic products at levels up to 25%. Typically parabens are used at levels ranging from 0.01 to 0.3%.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Benadryl Allergy Kapgels diphenhydramine 25 mg (McNeil Consumer Healthcare Div)
- Chlordiazepoxide Hydrochloride 10 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride 25 mg (Perrigo Company)
- Ergocalciferol 1.25 mg (50,000 USP units) (Sigmapharm Laboratories, LLC)
- Fluoxetine Hydrochloride 20 mg (Barr Laboratories, Inc.)
- Fluoxetine Hydrochloride 10 mg (Barr Laboratories, Inc.)
- Hydroxyurea 500 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)
- Lescol 20 mg (Novartis Pharmaceuticals)
- Loxapine Succinate 50 mg (Watson Laboratories, Inc.)
- Loxapine Succinate 5 mg (Watson Laboratories, Inc.)
- Loxapine Succinate 10 mg (Watson Laboratories, Inc.)
- Loxapine Succinate 25 mg (Watson Laboratories, Inc.)
- Oxazepam 10 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Phenytoin Sodium Extended 100 mg (Taro Pharmaceuticals U.S.A., Inc.)
- Phrenilin Forte acetaminophen 650mg / butalbital 50mg (Valeant Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Temazepam 15 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Temazepam 30 mg (Sandoz Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Tetracycline Hydrochloride 500 mg (Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Theophylline Extended-Release 300 mg (Inwood Laboratories Inc.)
- Tylenol Extra Strength 500 mg (McNeil Consumer)