Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is Alginic Acid?
Alginic acid (C14H22O13) is a natural carbohydrate that comes from algae in seaweed (kelp) and is used in processed foods. It is also used in certain medications, such as Gaviscon liquid, to create a foam barrier for coating the stomach. Alginic acid is often combined with aluminum hydroxide and magnesium carbonate to form antacids.
The combination of alginic acid, aluminum hydroxide, and magnesium carbonate is used to treat symptoms of stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and other conditions caused by excess stomach acid. This medicine is also used to treat heartburn, upset stomach, sour stomach, or acid indigestion.
Alginic acid does not appear to be absorbed or metabolized after ingestion.
Top Medications Containing Alginic Acid
- Antacid Extra Strength aluminum hydroxide 160 mg / magnesium carbonate 105 mg (Meijer Distribution Inc.)
- ATARAX 100 MG (Pfizer U.S. Pharmaceuticals Group)
- ConRx AR aluminum hydroxide 160 mg/ magnesium hydroxide 105 mg (Eagle Distributors,Inc.)
- Demeclocycline Hydrochloride 150 mg (Amneal Pharmaceuticals)
- Demeclocycline Hydrochloride 300 mg (Global Pharmaceuticals)
- Demeclocycline Hydrochloride 150 mg (Global Pharmaceuticals)
- Demeclocycline Hydrochloride 300 mg (Amneal Pharmaceuticals)
- Desvenlafaxine Extended-Release 100 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Desvenlafaxine Extended-Release 50 mg (Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Lithium Carbonate Extended Release 450 mg (West-Ward Pharmaceutical Corporation)
- Metaxalone 800 mg (Corepharma LLC)
- Nitrofurantoin Monohydrate Macrocrystals 100 mg (Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Phrenilin acetaminophen 325 mg / butalbital 50 mg (Valeant Pharmaceuticals International)
- PreQue 10 prenatal nutrition with coq10 and lycopene (Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Synalgos-DC aspirin 356.4 mg / caffeine 30 mg / dihydrocodeine bitartrate 16 mg (Mikart, Inc.)