User Reviews for Sonata

Insomnia 23 reviews 105 medications

6.7
Summary of Sonata reviews 23 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Sonata

For Insomnia "My doctor recently informed me that I should only take Sonata when I wake up in the middle of the night. Just need to have a glass of water near my bed. I tried that last night and it did give me a few extra hours of sleep. When I was taking it before bed I generally would get up in the middle of the night anyway and feel groggy the next day. "

epublius (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 23, 2014

For Insomnia "Taking Sonata was like taking a placebo. No matter when I took it - 5 minutes before bedtime, 1 hour, 2 hours, I would lie awake for hours! I even tried doubling up with no change. Once I did fall asleep I would wake up 2 hours later, then 2 hours after that - never getting a restful nights sleep."

1Anonymous July 23, 2014

For Insomnia "I love Sonata, for the first time I can sleep. However, I think it works best if you wind yourself down and relax a bit first. Otherwise, I would find myself feeling the effects of the medication and still active and now impaired. So I learned early in once I stop what I am doing and just relax, watch T.V, read a book etc. Right to sleep and I stayed there. Not groggy at all the next day."

GlamGalTN (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 10, 2014

For Insomnia "Trouble falling asleep and staying asleep"

GypsyJoey April 16, 2014

For Insomnia "After years of not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep and after trying Lunesta and Ambien I was tired. Sonata works great for me and I don't wake up groggy or hung over. I feel great for the first time in my life. I have fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome and it is essential to get sleep. I feel refreshed and ready to go in the mornings.....love it. Thankful my doctor said to give it a try. Hope this helps."

freckleseckles (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2014

For Insomnia "I don't have trouble falling asleep, but if I happen to wake up between the hours of 2:00 am and 4:00 am, for some reason I have a hard time falling back asleep. I give myself about 10 minutes, and if I am still awake I take one capsule. Seems like it works within 15 minutes and there is ZERO morning grogginess. It is a short acting medication so it really isn't designed to be taken right when you go to bed. Sometimes I will take a Sonata and then check my email while waiting for it to work----big mistake, as I write some very loopy, misspelled things which I have only the vaguest memory of doing. "

Moorestown Lady July 8, 2013

For Insomnia "I love it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 19, 2013

For Insomnia "It didn't help me fall asleep at all. I tried it one night and I didn't sleep the whole night, so I tried it again during the day since I hadn't slept at night no bueano. Made me cough and hack really bad and sinus, had chest pain the next day. I tried again one more night still no sleep."

elaborategoddess (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2012

For Insomnia "I had an interesting experience on Sonata. I took it, but found myself unable to fall asleep. Instead, I spent several, say 7 hours, sitting in front of my vanity having a conversation with my numerous reflections in my one mirror. While there in reality was probably only one reflection, I saw three. Sometimes more. They all were very active, doing different things at the same time! I decided that one of them should cut their hair, and after some persuasion, they did. Well, to my great dismay, when I awoke, I looked in the mirror, and yes, my reflection had indeed cut her hair, but so had I! I had to go to school that day, my friends were rather astonished. Well...I had a hell of a time explaining it to my mom. When I shared the account of these events with my cousin, however, I was rather stunned by the fact that she had had the same experience!!!! She too, had cut her hair and spent hours conversing and sharing anecdotes with her multiple reflection-visitors. Although her conversation was interrupted by a vision of a dog-man, our stories were otherwise quite similar. After researching this medication thoroughly online, we thought that it could not just be coincidence that we both had such similar nights on Sonata, and we think these things should be listed as side affects, including, but not limited to hair cutting and mirror parties."

katier138 (taken for 10 years or more) September 4, 2012

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Insomnia "After trying a number of different things without much success, the zaleplon/Sonata is helping me go to sleep and staying asleep for up to 7 hours. When I wake, I'm refreshed and have no hangover whatsoever."

ludlow49 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2012

For Insomnia "I did not like it. I tried it for 2 weeks and always woke up at 2.30 am or 3.00am then I couldn't go back to sleep."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2012

For Insomnia "This medicine did not make me sleepy at all. It made sexual urges come to the forefront so much that it affected my normal behavior. "

Anonymous March 28, 2012

For Insomnia "Like Ambien, it's good for a solid four hours but then I wake up totally unable to go back to sleep without taking another dose. It's good if you only need help getting to sleep."

hscolnik November 26, 2011

For Insomnia "Finally, I no longer have to chose between falling asleep at night or being productive during the day. With Sonata, I can do both. The only drawback is that on rare occasions, the medication takes awhile to work."

Anonymous April 2, 2010

For Insomnia "Nice to finally stay asleep"

Anonymous October 19, 2009

For Insomnia "Falling asleep can be a bit of a challenge when my back and legs are cramping. Feels like a broom stick is constantly pushing hard on lower left side of back. This pill said take immediately before bed. It takes about 70 minutes for me to shut down after taking it. Other pills give aching shoulder and joints this one does not and no grogginess either. I can sleep through at least 6 hours after use and I appreciate the development of one medicine that works for me as I have tried many and they do not work well or have negative side effects."

Ivan g October 17, 2009

"I took Tylenol PM for several years and then I started needing more help. I was not able to go to sleep and stay asleep. My doctor prescribed Sonata. It is mostly wonderful. My doctor prescribed 10 mg. If I take 10 mg, I have terrible nightmares. So I take 5 mg about an hour and a half before I go to bed. It does not work immediately on me. I also take 2 Tylenol PM tablets. Sonata helps me go to sleep and Tylenol PM helps me to stay asleep. Even if I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom, I usually don't have difficulty going back to sleep."

Anonymous February 14, 2009

For Insomnia "This usually helps me get to sleep really well. It says to take it while you're already in bed but I don't find that it immediately knocks me out like Ambien did. The Sonata gets me to sleep and lets me wake up just fine in the morning. The only problem is if I wake up during the night and can't return to sleep and so sometimes I take an additional one to help get back to sleep."

Anonymous October 7, 2008

For Insomnia "I have severe chronic insomnia associated with FM/CFS. I have been unable to fall asleep or stay asleep for nearly 10 years. Tried many other medicines for sleep that didn't work or had unacceptable side effects. Sonata served me well for 5 years. Was taking 10 mg to get to sleep and then another 10mg to get back to sleep during the night. Our health insurer changed and they will only pay for 1 pill per night. My health and quality of life has deteriorated."

Anonymous July 27, 2008

For Insomnia "I use Ambien CR 12.5mg (strongest), and I still wake up at 3am. Can't take another Ambien. To avoid any risk associated with driving to work and then dealing with the drowsiness while at work, my doctor put me on Sonata. Even if I wake up at 3 or 4, I am able to enjoy the rest of my night in restful sleep with no morning drowsiness at all. "

->AlanJ June 28, 2008

For Insomnia "Amazing. Helps me fall asleep. I don't have a problem staying asleep, just getting in the mode to fall asleep. This medication is amazing. I do not feel loaded at all, I dont wake up groggy, I just lay my head on the pillow and Sonata does the rest."

duwa71 June 25, 2008

For Insomnia "I agree with both of the other posts. Sonata is very effective and you feel no drowsiness in the morning. Also, you are not so completely zonked out that you can't awaken if necessary. At first I took it only when I awakened at 2 or 3 am, but now I take it before bedtime and sleep (7 hours) until the next morning. "

Anonymous June 15, 2008

For Insomnia "I asked the doctor about this medication. She hadn't even heard of it. I told her that I had some addictive past behavior and that I did not want anything that made me feel like I was sedated or loaded, just something that would help me go to sleep and stay asleep once laying down. This medication does exactly that. No grogginess in the morning, and no loaded, drugged feeling once taken. I have heard it is a hypnotic like ambien. Sonata is amazing."

leland8 June 10, 2008

For Insomnia "I have Sleep Apnoea and was on rotating shift for 17 years. My doctor prescribed Ambien, which worked well, if I had 7-8 hours to devote to sleep. I do not take it every night. I do wakeup midway most nights. I was having a difficulty getting back to sleep. My doctor then prescribed Sonata for the times when I have less than 7 hours to sleep. I found it was effective and very mild. I can take with as little as an hour of sleep time available, with minimal side effects."

Apnea and shift work May 8, 2008