User Reviews for Bentyl

Learn more about Bentyl.

Bentyl Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Bentyl to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"Great at first until you have to take as therapy for years. I have Headaches, confusion, memory loss, Mania, loss of sleep, I already have Anxiety disorders, This stuff can facilitate Glaucoma, Alzheimers. Blurrs vision from the start! Terrible no integrated health care so docs can learn to see the whole patient and avoid severe disruption of life. I'd rather nurse the severe trouble of advanced diverticular disease, IBS, Fructose malabsorbtion, Hiatus hernia type2, GERD, LPRD. I would rather not be blind and loose what is left of my mind. Terrible medication in the long run. Patients should be educated, better monitored for complications for all medical issues."

Margie1957 June 26, 2015

"Every couple of months, I get an upset stomach due to stress. I get a crampy stomach, full stomach sensation and irregular stools. Bentyl is gentle and just calms everything down. You don't really notice it working. The symptoms just fade off. I would say it is not helpful for nausea. In that case, I find that old liquid Pepto Bismol is the most effective."

Ken0808 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 14, 2015

"IBS in south america. The little pink pill. Sertal Compuesto (Propinox clorhidrato, Clonixinato de lisina) I'm 65 and a veteran. I've had this condition for 20 years at least. When I visited Ecuador a few years ago I had an attack that put me on the floor (again). It wasn't food or the water! I'm a big boy and I know the difference. I had to return to the apartment and cry and roll around like a baby. The woman I was with went to the pharmacy and got a syringe and some Sertal Compuesto. 10 mins after the injection the IBS was gone. No pain. I stopped crying due to the pain and began crying because I was so happy. It also comes in a pink pill that takes about 30 mins to work. I had attacks every 6 months. I changed the diet lost weight etc. Nothing worked. Sertal Compuesto works. The FDA won't allow it into the USA for sales. Must be purchased elsewhere. I now live in Ecuador. I keep both pills and injection on hand."

bob2v2 May 9, 2015

"I've been on bentyl for a little over a month now. At first it was great, helped with the painful attacks I was having. Now I'm so dizzy from it that I can't function even as a stay at home mom. I can't drive to my Dr appt and all I do is sit at home in a daze."

mom of 14 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2015

"Suffering from cramping, diarrhea, and spasms for over a month and within 10 mins of taking the 10mg pill I feel much better. I can actually walk around and not worry about having to be near the bathroom 24/7. Has not completely stopped spasms but has helped tremendously. The cramps have stopped! I would recommend anyone trying this out for irritable bowel syndrome/inflammatory bowel disease cramping relief. Female, IBD, 25yrs old."

Ibs/ibd sucks TGFBentyl (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've been dealing with Irritable Bowel Syndrome for about 7 or 8 years now, with the severity increasing greatly about three years ago. I lost my job after a year because I missed so many days due to flare-ups where I couldn't move. My flare-ups got so bad that I was vomiting blood from the pain, and on more than one occasion, had to go to the ER for morphine simply to take the edge off the pain after hours of throwing up blood. Bentyl is the only medicine to this day to help in any way, shape, or form. I started out taking one pill during flare-ups which would help in about 15 minutes. Now, depending on the severity of my flare up, I take two to three pills & it takes about 30-45 minutes to become effective. "

PDTNKA November 23, 2014

"Took away none of the spasms, but I did have all of the side effects; dizzy, tired and headaches."

ClaireBee (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2014

"Amazing! I have been sick with Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for 5 years. Because of this I have been a stay at home mom those 5 years because I couldn't hold a job with my stomach issues. I have tried 4 different probiotics, Activia yogurt, pepper net extract pills, ginger pills, aloe juice and aloe pills. None have worked as effectively as this miracle pill after 2 days. I feel like a person again and not a toilet seat cover. I can now go to work because my kids are in school part time and I am not running to the bathroom. I have not experienced these side effects, only a little bloating. But I was always bloated anyway. I only hope this medicine has staying power and my body doesn't become used to it."

No longer stay at home mom (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Worked perfectly in the diarrhea stage, without causing constipation. Dosage was 10 mg 4 times a day (before meals and one at bedtime)."

DenDenDen August 15, 2014

"I have dealt with severe flare ups from Irritable Bowel Syndrome for almost 3 years and the combination of Bentyl, Donnatal and when very bad, Lomotil, work together like a charm. Donnatal is my go-to medicine, but Bentyl does what it is suppose to do which is to help with the cramping and pain associated with flare ups. ZERO side effects at 40-60mg a day. Good medicine."

ehh80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've dealt with severe irritable bowel syndrome problems since about 14, and the older I got, the worse it got. Nothing really helped until Bentyl. The only medicine that has ever helped me this far. It works within half an hour. The one downside is I can only take it outside of work because I feel "high" within ten minutes, every time."

Dnicack93 April 10, 2014

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Doctors are not sure what is wrong with me. My symptoms activate during the night, around 2 to 4am the pain in stomach sometimes boating and other times a burning sensation that feels Bentyl. I have had this medicine sitting on my coffee table for 3 days without taking it because I hate taking pills and I was waiting for another attack. Doc wanted me to take them 3 times a day. This morning at 6am I was having the pain. The pain in my back is 10 times worse then my stomach. So I took one Bentyl and within 10 mins the pain is gone. This was my first pill that I have taken that actually took the pain away. I have an attack about 3 days a week."

gorra92 (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2013

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had IBS for about 18 years. Symptoms of bloating, swollen stomach, looking like I'm 6 mos pregnant, severe cramps, very loose bowels. Symptoms lasting weeks making me home bound and in bed. Eating crackers and drinking juice. I have went to a number of doctors. Finally my gastrollgist prescribing Bentyl. I was taking it 3 times daily then 2 times daily. Because of making me tired, I now only take it when I have flare ups. I try to take it at night when possible. This medicine has really helped me. I highly suggest it."

belly hurting October 24, 2013

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, was going to the bathroom 10x times a day. Was prescribed this two weeks ago. Take 3x times a day. So far pill works great down to 2x times a day and my stomach looks smaller since I was always bloated. Only side effect I've noticed is it makes me tired during the day."

Anonymous October 7, 2013

"Meds: Subutex 8mg SL 2x daily (recovering addict), Bentyl 20mg oral as-needed up to 4x daily. I have irritable bowel syndrome flare-ups randomly, depending on stress level, caffeine/nicotine/stimulant intake, etc. The first few months, one 20mg Bentyl stopped a flare DEAD IN IT'S TRACKS. Now it doesn't and I have to double-dose, because when I flare, the pain is so severe that I begin vomiting, sweating, shaking, and cannot function at work. The double dose is effective, but causes blurred vision, cognitive impairment, and a general feeling of being "disconnected" or "high", minus any kind of euphoria. Going to discuss this with my PCP."

B Hawk (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2013

"I have had Irritable Bowel Syndrome-C for most of my adult life, and this medicine is the only thing that calms everything down. I do not take it every day - only when things get intolerable, and even then I usually try to take it at night, as it does cause drowsiness and "cognitive impairment." It definitely works, though! In my opinion, it's worth a try."

JustMe7890 August 9, 2013

111 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Where has this stuff been? I have been suffering with irritable bowel disease since the beginning of June and was prescribed Bentyl. The first few days were four 10 mg pills a day and that sent me into orbit, but the spasms lessened. Then I was to go down to two a day and I managed to be awake here and there. Now I am on a daily dosage of one a day. The side effects are sleepiness and a little cognitive impairment, but the cramping has decreased by 97%. For me, this has been a total blessing. As I feel better I am thinking of switching to taking the one pill at night instead of the morning. But for now, I am changing nothing. I eat a very bland diet, but hey, it is being processed normally."

Fifismom (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was admitted to the hospital every 3-4 months, the pain was unbearable , vomiting, diarrhea. It would last 4-10 days, I had several specialist , none could help. I finally found a great doctor, she had it figured out in 20 minutes after REALLY reading my history. Bentyl is part a big part of saving me, I only take 10-20 mg when I feel the attack start, yes, I go to sleep, but not to hospital! Almost 2 years without a stay because of this medicine! I only take it when I feel the attack coming, but, it's been a life saver!!"

DebbieB64 April 28, 2013

"Once or twice a year I have a severe intestinal attack. I've decided I can't eat green vegetables if they aren't cooked thoroughly, and chlorophyl seems to be the problem. The pain is so intense, I have to take pain medication and lay down. It takes my system at least a week to fully recover. After two weeks of a recent bout, I was prescribed Bentyl. It works! But I swear my IQ drops 30 points. That's the trade off. Bently relaxes the stomach and the brain!"

Trudi1954 April 11, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had stomach problems from the age of 14 and up. And naturally with how young I am and being so prone to ovarian cysts, my bloating up (looking 4 months pregnant at 110 pounds) and consistent stomach pains, they would always just assume it was a new cyst and give me pain medicine, even after being on TWO birth controls at once. When my doctor finally started to realize how frequently I was in so much pain that I'd just cry nonstop and the bloating would happen so often, he prescribed me Bentyl. I have to redo a endoscopy next month due to the last one not really working, but I can already tell a difference. I just don't like how goofy I can be and how overly excited I get. Other than that, I haven't had this kind of relief in years!"

AndieGirl March 21, 2013

"I always had a stomach like a goat nothing bothered it then at 47. I had to go to ER they gave me Bentyl and it helped. I had another attack and screamed in pain my husband reminded me of the Bentyl and I took a drink of the liquid and pain stopped right then. This is a wonderful medication...I can function. I get a little loopy but no pain. I was diagnosed with IBS-C."

Tammy502 (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2013

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Unfortunately, I have not had a good experience with Bentyl. I've had severely blurred vision after just 3 days of taking 10mg 3 x's per day along with extreme bloating. I have been extremely uncomfortable and stopped taking the medicine. Hopefully there is something else available to help my symptoms."

tummytales (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2013

"I take Bentyl for irritable bowel syndrome flare ups and it does work for me. I would suggest taking it at night before bed or make sure your home because it can cause drowsiness and dizziness and dry mouth. This is an anti spasmodic. Also known as a muscle relaxer. So be careful when taking this. It really does work wonders."

Riyac3po January 30, 2013

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"When I first started taking Bentyl it worked very well. Aside from the side effects of being drowzy & light headed it did the job it was meant to. However, over the past year problems started to occur more frequently, thus stressing me out & making the cycle continue. I would up the dose but side effects worsen. Overall it takes off the edge. I give it a 7."

Ghostpsalms January 18, 2013

"I was prescribed Bentyl for vomiting and having diarrhea. I had been having severe cramping and was having sporadic severe cramping during this bout of illness. I have learned more about this medication reading the comments here that I learned reading the "literature" on it (thank you all). Based on what I have learned, this medication may be something I will want to continue in an as needed basis. It helps urgency as well as constipation (I have MS,so these are very important) gas, and even my menstrual cramping! Not a cure, but a great help!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2012