User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction 1 reviews 6 medications

Crohn's Disease 7 reviews 65 medications

8.6
Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 29 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Cholestyramine

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Mx it with Tang, it makes it much easier to drink. All you get is tang and a little grittiness. I am experiencing an inability to overeat and some resultant weight loss. i have been on it for about a month."

dixiehwyheron July 13, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just started on the powder form of this medication. The first night I gagged on it, but managed to drink it down at around 3pm. I felt so much nausea that I wasn't sure I wanted to continue, but the next day I felt no urgency, had a normal bowel movement and felt no nausea. I slammed down the whole drink and didn't gag the following few nights. I'm so glad I didn't give up and continued to take cholestryam."

grandma giggles May 17, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Post gallbladder surgery 1 month. Couldn't keep any food in me whatsoever. Went down to 94 pounds and was told this wasn't normal after gallbladder removal. Dr. wanted to run tests but I did research and found Questran. My Dr. did prescribe it and it has made a big difference. I tried to stop taking it when I felt a little better, but I can't. Mosty drink lots of fluid and have fiber or you can go the other way."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After removing a prolific stone producing gallbladder that was causing biliary blockages, anything I ate would basically go right through, particularly the first meal of the day. My gastro doc prescribed the Cholestryamine and bingo problem resolved. I take it every evening around 9 or 10PM, have normal stools the next day and my first meal stays put along with everything else I eat. It will not dissolve and is like drinking sand, but for me it (Prevalite) goes down easier with a glass of apple cider (not juice). The generic version made by Sandoz I find is easier to take in plain water. As a bonus this drug also reduces my cholesterol."

piccr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I am sure if it was not for this product I would not be alive today. I would for sure not have been able to do my job that demands frequent travel to difficult parts of Africa and Middle East. One problem though that surprises me is how little people that suffers from Crohn's knows about this. Why are all doctors not prescribing it. Some Doctors would rather prescribe imodium which is dangerous. The suppliers of this product should advertise it on international news channels as a service to improve quality of life. This product should also not be heavily scheduled. If headache tablets can be purchased over the counter why do we need to see a Dr for such a life changing product. It is over controlled"

Johan Jansen (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

Cholestyramine Light (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After many trips,to the GP and hospital with stomach pain and severe toilet issues I was prescribed Questran light being a ground worker sometimes no toilets close by is not a problem anymore. A great medicine. I have no side effects."

braders March 1, 2015

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: "Have used this medication since 1987 after partial bowel resection due to Crohn's Disease. I've had no adverse reaction in all these years of taking this medication."

Hez King January 23, 2015

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am taking cholestyramine to help control diarrhea caused by irritable bowel syndrome. It is extremely helpful. The only thing I don't like is the idea that it has started to stain my teeth and can eat away tooth enamel."

Coles4 December 28, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago, after 18 years of having stomach issues and pain and several doctor visits, they told me I needed to have the surgery and get my gallbladder taken out, then the doctor told me I had irritable bowel syndrome, he told me I would not be able to eat anything greasy because if I did it would go right through me, well I stopped eating greasy foods and ate grilled chicken all the time! It gets old, I started loosing weight, my hair thinned out, I got sick all the time and always had to cancel plans or call in sick because it would get so bad. I finally went back to the doctor and said you gotta do something I cant go on like this anymore and so he put me on this medicine and its worked miracles."

Sidneybaby101 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "I notice a change in my bowels after the second day of drinking the powder mixed in one glass of water I drink it about 3P.M. before dinner I can tell this working for me as I do not have the need to rush to the toilet to get rid of what I just ate. I experienced it and found that just one glass late afternoon works fine for me. I understand that some people need two a day. I noticed a change for quickly in my bowels since taking this I have not needed to take Lomotil. That is a medicine I have been dependent on for many years."

movielynne (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "Gallbladder removal in 23 years ago, Dumping Syndrome started immediately, 20 years of living in fear/prison, couldn't go anywhere where there was no bathroom, no canoeing, hiking, skiing, anything that I could be stranded without a bathroom. I tried everything, fiber, Metamucil, fiber pills, phsyllium husk, etc. Nothing worked. Searched for my issue every couple of years to see if anyone else had any ideas and ran across Cholestyramine. Talked to my Dr. took one packet a day, first thing in the morning, worked like a charm, no more running! I was free! I could go for walks, bike rides, hiking, graduations! To a restaurant. I agree, for me, this was a Godsend! No side effects for me."

Try it (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "USMC vet that was in the Persian Gulf, Nothing I have taken has stopped me from going to bathroom 6-7 times a day, plus I have had terrible stomach pains, Bad enough to send me to the Hospital. This was something I thought I was just going to have to live with. After 1 dose of Cholestyramine I noticed a huge change. I now have solid bowel movements, and only go 2-3 time in the morning. This medicine has been a miracle for me. No side effects and I have gone 4 weeks with no stomach pain. I take the medication once a day at 3:00PM."

Smitty42 June 18, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "After gallbladder removal I had chronic diarrhea. The first bowel motion in the morning was normal then after an hour I would have about 3 to 4 bowel motions that were loose stools throughout the day no matter what I ate. After 2 years and colonoscopies and egd no change in my situation. The doctor told me maybe it was normal. What a good doctor. Anyway after research on the internet I found this medicine and recommended it to my doctor who said yes and gave me a prescription. Since day one I have not had any diarrhea. I take it twice a day once in morning and the other in the evening. It has really helped me a lot. Good thing because I was beginning to get depressed and hopeless about my situation. Thanks be to God."

Mr. Ali (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "After having my gall bladder removed, I suffered for a year with problems, stomach and bowel, mucus stools, diarrhea, and fat tolerance, I was given this medicine recently, and it has worked wonders, all my symptoms have gone apart from the fat intolerance which I don't mind because who wants to eat high in fat foods anyway, I can also add that after having a sachet I feel full for a long time, so I would have the sachet after a meal otherwise I would have to go without."

al1ce (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2014

Questran (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: "I had tried most everything for my diarrhea related to Crohn's disease. It was starting to really affect my quality of life. I could often not leave the house. My gastro. dr. recommended this powder. After the first dose, I noticed a difference. I am now able to leave the house without wearing Depends!"

ladyjp (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Not good at all. I took Cholestyramine for a week and I would wake up at night and run to the bathroom and it was just too late. I wish it worked for me as well as it has for so many of you. "

nettee1120 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I suffered for 10 years and it got to the point where I didn't eat out anymore because I knew where I would be for the next hour if I did. My doctor just kept saying to watch what I eat. I did, but nothing specific seemed to trigger my bouts of irritable bowel syndrome. After my father passed away from colon cancer about 4 years ago, my siblings and I were advised to have a colonoscopy. The Dr that did mine recommended I try Cholestyramine and it was like a miracle for me. As long as I take my dose every morning, I am generally just fine. I do occasionally still have flare ups, but I have discovered that they are hormonal and I just take a bit extra on those days and I am usually good to go."

sueprit January 22, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Wonderful medicine! I've had only hints of minor side effects a little morning gas; a few minutes of minor nausea just after drinking it before bed. So glad my gastrointestinal doctor suggested it; so sorry it took 19 months after gall bladder surgery to ask him for something. Out of work but couldn't leave the house on time for job interviews (or doctor's appointments). Not a good first impression. Medicine worked the very first morning and has continued to work. What a relief!"

LizinVegas (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2012

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: "It is early days yet (under one month) since I commenced treatment with Questran but there has been marked decrease in daily bowel activity. I have had Crohn's for the past 18 years and all other medications have proved to be largely ineffective. I have been concerned about the potentially dangerous side effects that some medicines that are prescribed for this condition may have. Since starting this course of treatment, my intake of codeine and Lomotil/Imodium has been minimal. While constipation has occurred, it has been manageable. Without going down this track, with four identified strictures I was looking down the barrel of surgery. I am moderately confident that at least so far this has been a positive move."

Merv s (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2012

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had diarrhea at least once, sometimes several times, everyday for the past 3 years. I had a small bowel resection and was told it would just be that way for the rest of my life. Stomach cramps and diarrhea everyday, within minutes of eating. Finally my GI recommended I give this a shot - 1/2 scoop every night just before bed. First night my stomach was a little gurgly, but it worked GREAT! 2 cons: powder does not dissolve in water; works only for 1 day. If I don't take it one night, I am right back to a sensitive digestive system."

hwilson1 February 25, 2012

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: "Take it with water or juice, it has lowered my cholesterol significantly over the last 6 months."

Anonymous November 24, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have irritable bowl syndrome with diarrhea and this has worked great for me. I take it once or twice a day as needed with juice. The only side effect I noticed was one case of nausea which passed after about an hour. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids to avoid major constipation."

Anonymous September 30, 2011

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Cholestyramine Powder has saved my life. In January of 2006 my Gastroenterologist was finally able to diagnose my stomach problem by taking biopsies during a colonoscopy. For years, starting in the early 1970's, I had been told I had irritable bowl syndrome and controlled my flare ups by changing my diet. But around 2002 my condition became so serious, I was fighting to keep 100 lbs. on my 5'2" frame. I looked like a skeleton covered by skin. My doctor and I tried various medications and I tried to control my stress. Nothing was working until my doctor did a colonoscopy with biospies. Now if I have a flare up, I use 1tbs of Cholestyraime Powder in 8 oz of room temperature water before bedtime and I'm good to go. "

Anonymous July 22, 2011

For : "I have used this for 1 year and have no side effects."

finenow February 26, 2011

For Pruritus of Partial Biliary Obstruction: "I had a rectal rash that pain pills were almost useless on and within 2 days of taking this medicine, my rash was gone. If I only take 1/2 dose a day, my rash reappears and is quite painful. I was told that due to having no gall bladder that my bile production doesn't vary according to the quantity of food consumed so I need to regulate it myself. This has done the job well."

Anonymous December 20, 2010