User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction 1 reviews 6 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 44 reviews 8.8

Reviews for Cholestyramine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had chronic diarrhea for the last 26 years. I have tried many, many different medicines, but none helped me except this. I cannot believe how good I feel now. My whole life consisted of knowing where the next bathroom was. I was prescribed to take this 2x a day. The following day after starting it, my diarrhea has stopped completely!! I am now starting my second month on the medication and I have had no side effects and absolutly no problems. I sure wish I had this many years ago."

Tom 463 May 11, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder removed in 2009 and after that I had diarrhea after the first thing I ate for seven year I never went out to eat I never went out without knowing Where a bathroom was I never ate on road trip their would be days Where I didn't even wanna eat cuz I new I would be in the bathroom. So two days ago I was reading all these stories and they sounded just like me so I talk to my doc she prescribed me this medicIne and now I actually feel like my old self again"

coville May 1, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Has worked extremely well and I am very happy with it. Many seem to have problems with taking this gritty insoluble product. I mix it with Gatorade using a frother. This is a device used to froth milk for coffee drinks. It disperses all clumping and grittiness is minimal. I found mine on Amazon after considering an immersion blender. Hope this helps."

Au fait (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was taking Lotronex for years for IBS and had a colonoscopy a couple years ago and that dr gave me cholestyramine 2 times daily mixed in oj. It has worked wonders."

turtle333 April 6, 2016

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "One dose a day brought me immediately back to normal. Previously I had been experiencing daily severe diarrhea post op for 6 months."

Lynnedowney (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Reading so many of everyone's experiences reminded me of so many of my own horrible memories. Never wanting to go out to eat, having to take an IMODIUM before and after eating out, looking for the bathrooms at each stop just in case, NEVER wanting to go too far out away from the house, road trips were horrible and my job requires a lot of driving, lots of abdominal pain and sometimes having to do a lot of cleaning up. When I first started taking this I actually stopped after about 2 weeks because the normal BM's and lack of abdominal pain I confused with constipation...it was such a different, weird feeling to be normal. I am back on it and once again am getting the relief I got in the beginning."

happyfamily911 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gall bladder taken out over 10 years ago and only in the last 2 years problems started. Acid reflux and diarrhea. This medication has given my life back to me. I wish doctors knew about it. It took an amazing specialist doctor to recommend it I'm very thankful. I wish more people with IBS knew about this."

Newlife100 February 5, 2016

For Crohn's Disease: "Suffering from Crohn's disease for the past 15 years. Participated freely with new medicine testing, all tests failed, condition decreased. In 2013 infected bowel section was removed, finally. Still problems, cramps, diarrhea. Then Cholestiramine came around the corner. Since then no Crohn symptoms any more, only one very rare occasions. Very happy now with Cholestiramine, life is back to normal as much as possible "

Dutch guest January 3, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Allows me to be a normal person, not searching for a rest room every minute of the day."

jacquest September 25, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Glad my doctor decided to try this medicine because it has been a life saver for me! The only problem is remembering to mix up the powder every night. I wish this came in pill form. For those who are having trouble with the taste, or drinking it, I put it in 2 tbsp. of applesauce and mix it really well. It changes the flavor of the applesauce slightly, but it's not as gross as trying to drink it in water."

dbf September 3, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I have been taking this product since the mid 1980s To help control my Crohn's disease symptoms. Works well and I have had no adverse reactions. Great control of diarrhea and abdominal pain and cramps"

dkchas (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After suffering for seven weeks of diarrhea and undergoing over 15 tests, taking once a day a packet of this prescription powder made my diarrhea stop- a miracle!! N"

Amadora August 19, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "14 years of IBS and D, multiple colonoscopies and Doctors, I was ready to give up hope till I found this site, called family Dr. he prescribed it, I'm on my 4th day. Besides a little bloating and getting used to my new bowel habits, I'm a changed man. 43 yo. I just wished I found this sooner."

Urgent NOW ! August 9, 2015

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Mx it with Tang, it makes it much easier to drink. All you get is tang and a little grittiness. I am experiencing an inability to overeat and some resultant weight loss. i have been on it for about a month."

dixiehwyheron July 13, 2015

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Taking only one sachet per day, has resolved the diarrhea problems post op cholecystectomy, but now have haemorrhoid problem and a little bit of bloating, but these are tolerable in comparison with ruining to the loo 12 plus times a day, but am going to try a wean off it and see what happens as it is now 7 months since my op so may have settled down a bit."

Nick brick June 8, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just started on the powder form of this medication. The first night I gagged on it, but managed to drink it down at around 3pm. I felt so much nausea that I wasn't sure I wanted to continue, but the next day I felt no urgency, had a normal bowel movement and felt no nausea. I slammed down the whole drink and didn't gag the following few nights. I'm so glad I didn't give up and continued to take cholestryam."

grandma giggles May 17, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Post gallbladder surgery 1 month. Couldn't keep any food in me whatsoever. Went down to 94 pounds and was told this wasn't normal after gallbladder removal. Dr. wanted to run tests but I did research and found Questran. My Dr. did prescribe it and it has made a big difference. I tried to stop taking it when I felt a little better, but I can't. Mosty drink lots of fluid and have fiber or you can go the other way."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After removing a prolific stone producing gallbladder that was causing biliary blockages, anything I ate would basically go right through, particularly the first meal of the day. My gastro doc prescribed the Cholestryamine and bingo problem resolved. I take it every evening around 9 or 10PM, have normal stools the next day and my first meal stays put along with everything else I eat. It will not dissolve and is like drinking sand, but for me it (Prevalite) goes down easier with a glass of apple cider (not juice). The generic version made by Sandoz I find is easier to take in plain water. As a bonus this drug also reduces my cholesterol."

piccr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I am sure if it was not for this product I would not be alive today. I would for sure not have been able to do my job that demands frequent travel to difficult parts of Africa and Middle East. One problem though that surprises me is how little people that suffers from Crohn's knows about this. Why are all doctors not prescribing it. Some Doctors would rather prescribe imodium which is dangerous. The suppliers of this product should advertise it on international news channels as a service to improve quality of life. This product should also not be heavily scheduled. If headache tablets can be purchased over the counter why do we need to see a Dr for such a life changing product. It is over controlled"

Johan Jansen (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

Cholestyramine Light (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After many trips,to the GP and hospital with stomach pain and severe toilet issues I was prescribed Questran light being a ground worker sometimes no toilets close by is not a problem anymore. A great medicine. I have no side effects."

braders March 1, 2015

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: "Have used this medication since 1987 after partial bowel resection due to Crohn's Disease. I've had no adverse reaction in all these years of taking this medication."

Hez King January 23, 2015

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am taking cholestyramine to help control diarrhea caused by irritable bowel syndrome. It is extremely helpful. The only thing I don't like is the idea that it has started to stain my teeth and can eat away tooth enamel."

Coles4 December 28, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago, after 18 years of having stomach issues and pain and several doctor visits, they told me I needed to have the surgery and get my gallbladder taken out, then the doctor told me I had irritable bowel syndrome, he told me I would not be able to eat anything greasy because if I did it would go right through me, well I stopped eating greasy foods and ate grilled chicken all the time! It gets old, I started loosing weight, my hair thinned out, I got sick all the time and always had to cancel plans or call in sick because it would get so bad. I finally went back to the doctor and said you gotta do something I cant go on like this anymore and so he put me on this medicine and its worked miracles."

Sidneybaby101 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "I notice a change in my bowels after the second day of drinking the powder mixed in one glass of water I drink it about 3P.M. before dinner I can tell this working for me as I do not have the need to rush to the toilet to get rid of what I just ate. I experienced it and found that just one glass late afternoon works fine for me. I understand that some people need two a day. I noticed a change for quickly in my bowels since taking this I have not needed to take Lomotil. That is a medicine I have been dependent on for many years."

movielynne (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "Gallbladder removal in 23 years ago, Dumping Syndrome started immediately, 20 years of living in fear/prison, couldn't go anywhere where there was no bathroom, no canoeing, hiking, skiing, anything that I could be stranded without a bathroom. I tried everything, fiber, Metamucil, fiber pills, phsyllium husk, etc. Nothing worked. Searched for my issue every couple of years to see if anyone else had any ideas and ran across Cholestyramine. Talked to my Dr. took one packet a day, first thing in the morning, worked like a charm, no more running! I was free! I could go for walks, bike rides, hiking, graduations! To a restaurant. I agree, for me, this was a Godsend! No side effects for me."

Try it (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2014