User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Dumping Syndrome 1 reviews 0 medications

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction 1 reviews 6 medications

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 8 reviews 123 medications

8.8
Crohn's Disease 5 reviews 68 medications

8.3
Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 30 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 0 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...vated LDL VLDL 0 reviews 29 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 16 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Cholestyramine

Review by al1ce (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cholestyramine for Dumping Syndrome: After having my gall bladder removed, I suffered for a year with problems, stomach and bowel, mucus stools, diarrhea, and fat tolerance, I was given this medicine recently, and it has worked wonders, all my symptoms have gone apart from the fat intolerance which I don't mind because who wants to eat high in fat foods anyway, I can also add that after having a sachet I feel full for a long time, so I would have the sachet after a meal otherwise I would have to go without.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2014 11:06 AM
Review by ladyjp (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Questran (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: I had tried most everything for my diarrhea related to Crohn's disease. It was starting to really affect my quality of life. I could often not leave the house. My gastro. dr. recommended this powder. After the first dose, I noticed a difference. I am now able to leave the house without wearing Depends!

August 18, 2013 2:31 PM
Review by nettee1120 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Not good at all. I took Cholestyramine for a week and I would wake up at night and run to the bathroom and it was just too late. I wish it worked for me as well as it has for so many of you.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 1, 2013 12:08 PM
Review by sueprit: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I suffered for 10 years and it got to the point where I didn't eat out anymore because I knew where I would be for the next hour if I did. My doctor just kept saying to watch what I eat. I did, but nothing specific seemed to trigger my bouts of irritable bowel syndrome. After my father passed away from colon cancer about 4 years ago, my siblings and I were advised to have a colonoscopy. The Dr that did mine recommended I try Cholestyramine and it was like a miracle for me. As long as I take my dose every morning, I am generally just fine. I do occasionally still have flare ups, but I have discovered that they are hormonal and I just take a bit extra on those days and I am usually good to go.

January 22, 2013 2:06 PM
Review by LizinVegas (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Wonderful medicine! I've had only hints of minor side effects a little morning gas; a few minutes of minor nausea just after drinking it before bed. So glad my gastrointestinal doctor suggested it; so sorry it took 19 months after gall bladder surgery to ask him for something. Out of work but couldn't leave the house on time for job interviews (or doctor's appointments). Not a good first impression. Medicine worked the very first morning and has continued to work. What a relief!

July 19, 2012 12:21 PM
Review by Merv s (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: It is early days yet (under one month) since I commenced treatment with Questran but there has been marked decrease in daily bowel activity. I have had Crohn's for the past 18 years and all other medications have proved to be largely ineffective. I have been concerned about the potentially dangerous side effects that some medicines that are prescribed for this condition may have. Since starting this course of treatment, my intake of codeine and Lomotil/Imodium has been minimal. While constipation has occurred, it has been manageable. Without going down this track, with four identified strictures I was looking down the barrel of surgery. I am moderately confident that at least so far this has been a positive move.

May 12, 2012 10:48 PM
Review by hwilson1: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I had diarrhea at least once, sometimes several times, everyday for the past 3 years. I had a small bowel resection and was told it would just be that way for the rest of my life. Stomach cramps and diarrhea everyday, within minutes of eating. Finally my GI recommended I give this a shot - 1/2 scoop every night just before bed. First night my stomach was a little gurgly, but it worked GREAT! 2 cons: powder does not dissolve in water; works only for 1 day. If I don't take it one night, I am right back to a sensitive digestive system.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 25, 2012 12:31 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia Type IIa, Elevated LDL: Take it with water or juice, it has lowered my cholesterol significantly over the last 6 months.

November 24, 2011 5:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have irritable bowl syndrome with diarrhea and this has worked great for me. I take it once or twice a day as needed with juice. The only side effect I noticed was one case of nausea which passed after about an hour. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids to avoid major constipation.

September 30, 2011 8:37 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Cholestyramine Powder has saved my life. In January of 2006 my Gastroenterologist was finally able to diagnose my stomach problem by taking biopsies during a colonoscopy. For years, starting in the early 1970's, I had been told I had irritable bowl syndrome and controlled my flare ups by changing my diet. But around 2002 my condition became so serious, I was fighting to keep 100 lbs. on my 5'2" frame. I looked like a skeleton covered by skin. My doctor and I tried various medications and I tried to control my stress. Nothing was working until my doctor did a colonoscopy with biospies. Now if I have a flare up, I use 1tbs of Cholestyraime Powder in 8 oz of room temperature water before bedtime and I'm good to go.

July 22, 2011 3:34 PM
Review by finenow: User Rating:

I have used this for 1 year and have no side effects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2011 11:49 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Pruritus of Partial Biliary Obstruction: I had a rectal rash that pain pills were almost useless on and within 2 days of taking this medicine, my rash was gone. If I only take 1/2 dose a day, my rash reappears and is quite painful. I was told that due to having no gall bladder that my bile production doesn't vary according to the quantity of food consumed so I need to regulate it myself. This has done the job well.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 20, 2010 10:19 PM
Review by Holly702: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Post Cholysystectomy Syndrome: This medicine had been the best thing I have ever had. Regardless of the minor side effects I had it has saved me from constant diarrhea after having my gall bladder removed. I spent 8 miserable months having diarrhea multiple times a day. This has stopped it completely with little to no side effects. It does make me feel full if I take it right before I eat.

September 11, 2010 11:13 PM
Review by Andreas01: User Rating:

cholestyramine for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I wouldn't be able to leave the house without this medication. I had gallbladder surgery and since then have suffered major cramps and diarrhea daily.

January 1, 2010 5:29 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Cholestyramine Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: This medication works great to regulate my bowels due to Crohn's disease.

December 8, 2009 2:39 PM
Review by SoCal Gal: User Rating:

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: I have been taking this for three months along with Canasa suppositories with huge success. I have had extreme IBS with bleeding colon ulcers. I would be hit with sudden extreme diarrhea 20 minutes after eating anything. Sometimes I'd be hit not eating anything. Fasting was a sure way of having problems. These medicines are the first thing to work in over 10 years of suffering.

October 25, 2009 1:17 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: For me Questran is fantastic. Without it I would be too ill to leave the house.

March 23, 2009 1:49 PM

Learn about treatments for high cholesterol? Watch video.