User Reviews for Cholestyramine

Also known as: Cholestyramine Light, Locholest, Locholest Light, Prevalite, Questran, Questran Light

Learn more about Cholestyramine.

Pruritus of Partial ...iary Obstruction 1 reviews 6 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia 1 reviews 43 medications

Hyperlipoproteinemia...Ia, Elevated LDL 1 reviews 29 medications

Summary of Cholestyramine reviews 38 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Cholestyramine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gall bladder taken out over 10 years ago and only in the last 2 years problems started. Acid reflux and diarrhea. This medication has given my life back to me. I wish doctors knew about it. It took an amazing specialist doctor to recommend it I'm very thankful. I wish more people with IBS knew about this."

Newlife100 February 5, 2016

For Crohn's Disease: "Suffering from Crohn's disease for the past 15 years. Participated freely with new medicine testing, all tests failed, condition decreased. In 2013 infected bowel section was removed, finally. Still problems, cramps, diarrhea. Then Cholestiramine came around the corner. Since then no Crohn symptoms any more, only one very rare occasions. Very happy now with Cholestiramine, life is back to normal as much as possible "

Dutch guest January 3, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Allows me to be a normal person, not searching for a rest room every minute of the day."

jacquest September 25, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Glad my doctor decided to try this medicine because it has been a life saver for me! The only problem is remembering to mix up the powder every night. I wish this came in pill form. For those who are having trouble with the taste, or drinking it, I put it in 2 tbsp. of applesauce and mix it really well. It changes the flavor of the applesauce slightly, but it's not as gross as trying to drink it in water."

dbf September 3, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I have been taking this product since the mid 1980s To help control my Crohn's disease symptoms. Works well and I have had no adverse reactions. Great control of diarrhea and abdominal pain and cramps"

dkchas (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After suffering for seven weeks of diarrhea and undergoing over 15 tests, taking once a day a packet of this prescription powder made my diarrhea stop- a miracle!! N"

Amadora August 19, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "14 years of IBS and D, multiple colonoscopies and Doctors, I was ready to give up hope till I found this site, called family Dr. he prescribed it, I'm on my 4th day. Besides a little bloating and getting used to my new bowel habits, I'm a changed man. 43 yo. I just wished I found this sooner."

Urgent NOW ! August 9, 2015

Prevalite (cholestyramine) for Hyperlipoproteinemia: "Mx it with Tang, it makes it much easier to drink. All you get is tang and a little grittiness. I am experiencing an inability to overeat and some resultant weight loss. i have been on it for about a month."

dixiehwyheron July 13, 2015

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "Taking only one sachet per day, has resolved the diarrhea problems post op cholecystectomy, but now have haemorrhoid problem and a little bit of bloating, but these are tolerable in comparison with ruining to the loo 12 plus times a day, but am going to try a wean off it and see what happens as it is now 7 months since my op so may have settled down a bit."

Nick brick June 8, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just started on the powder form of this medication. The first night I gagged on it, but managed to drink it down at around 3pm. I felt so much nausea that I wasn't sure I wanted to continue, but the next day I felt no urgency, had a normal bowel movement and felt no nausea. I slammed down the whole drink and didn't gag the following few nights. I'm so glad I didn't give up and continued to take cholestryam."

grandma giggles May 17, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Post gallbladder surgery 1 month. Couldn't keep any food in me whatsoever. Went down to 94 pounds and was told this wasn't normal after gallbladder removal. Dr. wanted to run tests but I did research and found Questran. My Dr. did prescribe it and it has made a big difference. I tried to stop taking it when I felt a little better, but I can't. Mosty drink lots of fluid and have fiber or you can go the other way."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2015

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After removing a prolific stone producing gallbladder that was causing biliary blockages, anything I ate would basically go right through, particularly the first meal of the day. My gastro doc prescribed the Cholestryamine and bingo problem resolved. I take it every evening around 9 or 10PM, have normal stools the next day and my first meal stays put along with everything else I eat. It will not dissolve and is like drinking sand, but for me it (Prevalite) goes down easier with a glass of apple cider (not juice). The generic version made by Sandoz I find is easier to take in plain water. As a bonus this drug also reduces my cholesterol."

piccr (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 11, 2015

For Crohn's Disease: "I am sure if it was not for this product I would not be alive today. I would for sure not have been able to do my job that demands frequent travel to difficult parts of Africa and Middle East. One problem though that surprises me is how little people that suffers from Crohn's knows about this. Why are all doctors not prescribing it. Some Doctors would rather prescribe imodium which is dangerous. The suppliers of this product should advertise it on international news channels as a service to improve quality of life. This product should also not be heavily scheduled. If headache tablets can be purchased over the counter why do we need to see a Dr for such a life changing product. It is over controlled"

Johan Jansen (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2015

Cholestyramine Light (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After many trips,to the GP and hospital with stomach pain and severe toilet issues I was prescribed Questran light being a ground worker sometimes no toilets close by is not a problem anymore. A great medicine. I have no side effects."

braders March 1, 2015

Questran Light (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: "Have used this medication since 1987 after partial bowel resection due to Crohn's Disease. I've had no adverse reaction in all these years of taking this medication."

Hez King January 23, 2015

Questran (cholestyramine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am taking cholestyramine to help control diarrhea caused by irritable bowel syndrome. It is extremely helpful. The only thing I don't like is the idea that it has started to stain my teeth and can eat away tooth enamel."

Coles4 December 28, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had my gallbladder taken out 2 years ago, after 18 years of having stomach issues and pain and several doctor visits, they told me I needed to have the surgery and get my gallbladder taken out, then the doctor told me I had irritable bowel syndrome, he told me I would not be able to eat anything greasy because if I did it would go right through me, well I stopped eating greasy foods and ate grilled chicken all the time! It gets old, I started loosing weight, my hair thinned out, I got sick all the time and always had to cancel plans or call in sick because it would get so bad. I finally went back to the doctor and said you gotta do something I cant go on like this anymore and so he put me on this medicine and its worked miracles."

Sidneybaby101 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "I notice a change in my bowels after the second day of drinking the powder mixed in one glass of water I drink it about 3P.M. before dinner I can tell this working for me as I do not have the need to rush to the toilet to get rid of what I just ate. I experienced it and found that just one glass late afternoon works fine for me. I understand that some people need two a day. I noticed a change for quickly in my bowels since taking this I have not needed to take Lomotil. That is a medicine I have been dependent on for many years."

movielynne (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 25, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "Gallbladder removal in 23 years ago, Dumping Syndrome started immediately, 20 years of living in fear/prison, couldn't go anywhere where there was no bathroom, no canoeing, hiking, skiing, anything that I could be stranded without a bathroom. I tried everything, fiber, Metamucil, fiber pills, phsyllium husk, etc. Nothing worked. Searched for my issue every couple of years to see if anyone else had any ideas and ran across Cholestyramine. Talked to my Dr. took one packet a day, first thing in the morning, worked like a charm, no more running! I was free! I could go for walks, bike rides, hiking, graduations! To a restaurant. I agree, for me, this was a Godsend! No side effects for me."

Try it (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 27, 2014

For Post-Cholecystectomy Diarrhea: "I have had tremendous diarrhea after my gall bladder was removed. I tried many medications to treat the diarrhea and this is the only one that comes close to treating the problem. Now, I only have to take Imodium occasionally and not in the amount I use to take to get some control."

Roxie Poxie (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2014

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "USMC vet that was in the Persian Gulf, Nothing I have taken has stopped me from going to bathroom 6-7 times a day, plus I have had terrible stomach pains, Bad enough to send me to the Hospital. This was something I thought I was just going to have to live with. After 1 dose of Cholestyramine I noticed a huge change. I now have solid bowel movements, and only go 2-3 time in the morning. This medicine has been a miracle for me. No side effects and I have gone 4 weeks with no stomach pain. I take the medication once a day at 3:00PM."

Smitty42 June 18, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "After gallbladder removal I had chronic diarrhea. The first bowel motion in the morning was normal then after an hour I would have about 3 to 4 bowel motions that were loose stools throughout the day no matter what I ate. After 2 years and colonoscopies and egd no change in my situation. The doctor told me maybe it was normal. What a good doctor. Anyway after research on the internet I found this medicine and recommended it to my doctor who said yes and gave me a prescription. Since day one I have not had any diarrhea. I take it twice a day once in morning and the other in the evening. It has really helped me a lot. Good thing because I was beginning to get depressed and hopeless about my situation. Thanks be to God."

Mr. Ali (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2014

For Dumping Syndrome: "After having my gall bladder removed, I suffered for a year with problems, stomach and bowel, mucus stools, diarrhea, and fat tolerance, I was given this medicine recently, and it has worked wonders, all my symptoms have gone apart from the fat intolerance which I don't mind because who wants to eat high in fat foods anyway, I can also add that after having a sachet I feel full for a long time, so I would have the sachet after a meal otherwise I would have to go without."

al1ce (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2014

Questran (cholestyramine) for Crohn's Disease: "I had tried most everything for my diarrhea related to Crohn's disease. It was starting to really affect my quality of life. I could often not leave the house. My gastro. dr. recommended this powder. After the first dose, I noticed a difference. I am now able to leave the house without wearing Depends!"

ladyjp (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2013

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Not good at all. I took Cholestyramine for a week and I would wake up at night and run to the bathroom and it was just too late. I wish it worked for me as well as it has for so many of you. "

nettee1120 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2013