User Reviews for Diamox

Seizure Prevention 0 reviews 34 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Diamox reviews 21 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Diamox

Review by LewyLew:

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension in the early summer of 2013. I was put on 1000mg of Diamox at the beginning of November 2013 to keep the fluids from damaging more of my vision through swelling of my optic nerves. Felt the side effects within the first hour. Tingling in my hands and feet, some days my face. There were even days when my eyes and lips would twitch. All carbonated drinks taste like drinking battery acid. The first few weeks sucked, but it gets better with time. I just saw my eye specialist yesterday, 6 months of being on the miracle medicine, and the Diamox (and shedding a few pounds) has done it's job and not a trace of swelling! I'm able to come off it in a few short weeks. Thank God for good doctors!

May 2, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by Marydoll:

For Glaucoma: I am taking Diamox this is the 3rd time I have been prescribed this. It definitely works but side effects this time worst of all. Am dizzy and fell, pins and needles hands, feet and face. Headache don't know if medication or from fall. Nausea.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 2, 2014 4:21 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: Works very well to prevent symptoms of Acute Mountain Sickness with no perceived side effects. I take 125mg twice per day as recommended by the altitudemedicine.org website for high altitude hiking. This actually speeds up the bodys acclimitization process and doesn't just treat the symptoms. Highly recommend it for staying well on high altitude pursuits.

January 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Review by QualityRN (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was just diagnosed last week with PseudoTumor Cerebraii. I had my first spinal tap yesterday.I started Diamox today. About 4 hours after the first dose I took a sip of Mountain Dew and about vomited. It tasted like drinking melted nails. My appetite is lessened which I am so glad about. I am 60 lbs overweight. My mouth is dry and my lips are somewhat numb. But from everything I have read the side effects to this medication or any other would have to be really bad before I'd say I can't take this medication any more. I pray the meds work so I do not need a shunt. I did not think of this as a disease. I thought it was just an occurrence like reflux or migraines.

March 16, 2013 9:49 PM

Review by exwvgirl (taken for 10 years or more):

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have been on Diamox for many years. Started out with tunnel vision and then found to have pseudotumor cerebri (which my mom has too). I have even had lumbar punctures to drain the fluid off my brain as well in the beginning. This medication has worked wonders. I did have tingling and numbness in my feet, finger, nose, lips but that eased off by taking Vitamin C or eating oranges, (this was recommended by my doctor and it works). Now the tingling and numbness are gone. I don't know what I would have done without this medication. Now all I do is take the medicine once a day and move on with my life. Please hang in there and don't get discouraged.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 22, 2013 9:29 AM

Review by MogulMonster:

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: I don't always use medication when I go skiing in higher altitudes but when I do I prefer Diamox. This is a God send when I am sleeping at 10,000 ft and skiing at 12,000-14,000 ft. I tend to get a little clumsy and do not have the focus and sharp alertness while taking the medicine. I just need to take the medication starting a couple days before the trip for about 4-5 days. The whole process is all about getting your body acclimated to the change in altitude from sea level to 10,000 ft in a few hours. Other preparations are still needed such as avoiding alcohol, caffeine, NSAIDs, aspirin, sleeping agents. Start drinking a gallon of water each day while on this medicine.

January 17, 2013 9:20 AM

Review by AngeS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Glaucoma: I have been recently diagnosed with the disease called BIH which occurs mostly in women and very young children and currently taking Diamox with annoying side effects such as pins and needles in feet, hands and lips which can last up to 2 hours at a time and be painful. I wake every night with interrupted sleep with a headache or temperature! I have been turned off a lot of food but mainly fizzy drinks.

November 28, 2012 4:41 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: Can I just say for the people that are stating they have tingling/numbness with this medicine. I experienced this over a year and a half ago when I was first put on Diamox, they took me off it and put me on Topamax instead. For a year and a bit I was on Topamax and lost 30kg but the headaches never completely went away. Now I have been put back on Diamox for almost the last two weeks and I find only sometimes will I get any tingling at all... whereas last year when I first tried it I couldn't stand it. What I find works for me is taking the tablet whilst I'm eating, keeping my fluid up (only water), soft drinks and "bad" foods do tend to make it worse so I try to stay away from these. I find Diamox really does work if you're prepared to go that extra mile!

August 22, 2012 9:25 PM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have only been taking the medication for a week. 500mg/day. I have lost 11 pounds in that week due to the loss of appetite. When I do eat I get sick. Nothing tastes good to me anymore. I'm having some crazy dreams at night. I urinate every 2 hours minimum. I get a tingling feeling in my fingers, face and legs. I'm having a spinal tap this Friday to relieve some pressure, I'm hoping after that happens I won't have to take this medication anymore. It has alleviated the headaches though!

February 6, 2012 1:11 PM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I was diagnosed with this condition in 1997. The radiologist said they did not know what caused it and there was no cure but there is medicine to maintain. Many years later with 3 different shunt placements...I now have a shunt that still does not work but I have my Diamox to help me!

August 24, 2011 5:16 PM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: This medicine helped me so much to relieve some of the pressure in my head and leveled the pressure in my eyes. I also have edema of the legs and it gets so bad that at times I retain over 20 lbs of water which slows me down terribly. The pills helped me greatly and kept me active. However my doctor decided to take me off them and put me on Topamax because though the pressures were down, the headaches and pain was still there. I have gained so much weight because I barely move at times and have not been as active as I once was. My legs and now my abdomen are filled with fluid. Wish I could get Diamox again!

June 6, 2011 12:09 PM

Review by Abree:

For Glaucoma: I was given Diamox to prevent any increase in eye pressure after an ICL surgery (basically cataract surgery). My pressures were great, but the side effects from this were no fun. I experienced dizziness, tingling in my toes, and worst of all, my taste was off. The worse taste difference I noticed was in caffeinated beverages and that's what caused my to do some looking around to see what was going on.

March 22, 2011 3:04 PM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I've been on this medication for 2 weeks because of increased pressure in my spinal fluid due to head injuries. While the medicine works amazingly well on the headaches, my brain basically turns to mush when I'm on it and I can't function well enough to do my job or understand my school work. I also have really annoying tingling feelings in my hands, feet and lips that hasn't yet gone away. I wish there was a way to get this to keep working for my headaches.

November 3, 2010 12:34 PM

Review by jennyd55:

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I have been on this medicine for approximately 4 months. The benefits that I have had with my vision and headaches has been wonderful. The things I am not sure about and cannot find much about is that I have a great deal of memory loss. I have searched this on several sites and I cannot find anything about it so I am not sure if it is a side effect or if it is happening to me for some other reason. I have had some confusion since I have started it and that is starting to concern me. The only alternative to this medication is to have a shunt put in and I am not sure I am ready for that. I don't like the fact that I cannot have carbonated beverages but I am sure that it is a good thing as I was a soda addict.

November 3, 2010 9:50 AM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I had been diagnosed with pseudotumor cerebri when I was 10 years old. That was 16 years ago and have been taking DIAMOX on an off for that long. I get very bothersome tingling that doesn't go away, often waking at night with extremely painful tingling in my feet that causes me to have to get up. I get crippling headaches, that hurts when I even breathe, and the last time I was on the medication, the headaches got worse while I was taking it. I am currently back on the medicine and have to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes. I take 1000 mg a day and can no longer drink pop. Anyway, I have good and bad experience with the Diamox but the benefits to my eyes well outway the inconvenience.

August 24, 2010 7:17 PM

For Glaucoma: I had high pressure in eye after cataract surgery. This lowered the pressure in two days. Made me spacey and I slept a lot but it worked!

August 20, 2010 10:04 PM

For Pseudotumor Cerebri: I had swelling around my optic nerves causing vision problems and also had debilitating headaches that got worse with movement and made it impossible to exercise. I lived with it for years unknowingly and got progressively worse. My doctor diagnosed me with Pseudotumor cerebri. I have been taking generic Diamox for 3 weeks and haven't had a single headache. I can take my dogs for a walk now. There are 2 side effects I experience, tingling in my feet which was very bothersome but has lessened and that any beverages with carbonation taste terrible. No sodas, flavored water, beer, wine coolers, champagne. None of it taste normal/good.

July 9, 2010 6:16 PM

For Glaucoma: I had cataract surgery 7 days ago. Diamox is very effective to reduce the pressure in the eye but the problem is side effects. I had no appetite, constipation and hearing loss. I am hoping it will go away in few days. Anybody out there had similar experience, please share with us. Thanks.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 19, 2010 12:07 PM

Review by januhimal:

For Mountain Sickness / Altitude Sickness: I am trek leader. I am 100% confident to use Dimox to prevent the Altitude illness. This drugs makes my job easier. Thank you.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2009 9:12 AM

Review by Woodsey1:

For Epilepsy: I have used Diamox for over 20 years as a "Seizure Control Drug" for Epilepsy. In this time I have found it a very effective drug. One side effect I did experience was the drug Tegretol in tandem with Diamox did not allow the Diamox to work effectively. This was soon discovered and Tegretol was stopped.

November 21, 2008 6:01 PM

Review by Bobotcr:

For Glaucoma: In a pretty critical situation after cataract surgery, this drug brought it totally in line. Side effects for me were mild though annoying. Of all of the side effects, a spacey feeling for about 10 minutes the first two times, and tingling fingers and toes. All in all worth it for short term treatment.

November 20, 2008 3:13 PM