This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
24 Hour Urine Collection
What do I need to know about a 24 hour urine collection?
A 24 hour urine collection is a test to save and measure all the urine you pass in a 24 hour period. It may be done to help your healthcare provider diagnose or treat a medical condition.
How do I prepare for a 24 hour urine collection?
Your healthcare provider will explain the test and why you need it. He will tell you when to have the urine test done and any other special instructions you need. He will give you a container to collect and store your urine.
How is a 24 hour urine collection done?
- On the morning you start the collection, urinate in the toilet, and flush the first urine you pass. Write down the date and time. That is the start time for the collection.
- Collect all urine you pass throughout the day and night. Include the first urine you pass the following morning.
- Do not let your urine come in contact with toilet paper or your bowel movement. These will make the urine unusable.
- Keep your stored urine cool. You can do this by putting the container in the refrigerator or in a pan with ice.
- Give the container with the collected urine to your healthcare provider. Make sure to keep it cool. Do not let it sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. To help with this plan, you must learn about your lab tests. You can then discuss the results with your caregivers. Work with them to decide what care may be used to treat you. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2015 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.