24 Hour Urine Collection
What is it?
24 Hour Urine Collection Care Guide
- 24 Hour Urine Collection
- En Espanol
A 24-hour urine collection is when you need to save all the urine you pass in a 24-hour period. This may be needed to measure the amount of certain chemicals your kidneys clean from your body. Some chemicals are cleaned in different amounts during the day and night. With the 24-hour urine the chemical in question can be measured correctly. Another reason to collect your urine for 24 hours may be to see if too little or too much urine is produced.
Why do I need it?
Your caregiver will explain the test and why you should have it done.
How do I get ready for the test?
Caregivers will tell you when to have your urine test done and any other special instructions you need.
How is the specimen collected?
You may be given a special container to collect the 24-hour urine. This container has a wide opening and a leak proof screw cap. The following steps may help you collect the urine for 24 hours.
- On the first morning, when you start the collection, urinate in the toilet and flush away the first urine you pass.
- Write down the date and time this was done. That is the start time for the collection.
- Collect all urine you pass, day and night, including the one on the next day at the time the collection was started.
- Take care not to touch the urine with BM or toilet paper. Germs in your BM, toilet paper, or other things make the urine unusable.
- The urine should be kept cool during the 24-hour period. This may be done by putting the container in a pan with ice.
- Give the urine container to your caregiver within 2 hours after removing it from the ice bath.
- If you have any questions about the urine collection, call your caregiver.
You have the right to help plan your care. To help with this plan, you must learn about your lab tests. You can then discuss the results with your caregivers. Work with them to decide what care may be used to treat you. You always have the right to refuse treatment.
© 2013 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of the Blausen Databases or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.