User Reviews for Azathioprine

Also known as: Azasan, Imuran

Learn more about Azathioprine.

Bullous Pemphigoid 0 reviews 76 medications

4.3
Behcet's Disease 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Biliary Cirrhosis 0 reviews 4 medications Not rated - Be the first
Chronic Active Hepatitis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Chronic Inflammatory...diculoneuropathy 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Cogan's Syndrome 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Glomerulonephritis 0 reviews 1 medications Not rated - Be the first
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura 0 reviews 101 medications Not rated - Be the first
Inflammatory Bowel Disease 0 reviews 73 medications Not rated - Be the first
Myopathy 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Nephrotic Syndrome 0 reviews 57 medications Not rated - Be the first
Neurosarcoidosis 0 reviews 38 medications Not rated - Be the first
Organ Transplant, Re...tion Prophylaxis 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pemphigoid 0 reviews 76 medications Not rated - Be the first
Pemphigus 0 reviews 93 medications Not rated - Be the first
Psoriatic Arthritis 0 reviews 73 medications Not rated - Be the first
Sarcoidosis 0 reviews 64 medications Not rated - Be the first
Takayasu's Arteritis 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Uveitis 0 reviews 95 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Azathioprine reviews 36 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Azathioprine

For Multiple Sclerosis: "I have spasms which is slowly making me less able to walk. I took azathioprine for 3 years, on 150mg per day(gradual increase), with no side effects, normal blood counts and no feelings of good or bad effects. After 3 years, I think the tablets have slowed my disability decline."

pat hen (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2015

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "I've been on Imuran for about 9 years now. After trying the medicine Pentasa where I was taking 4000mg day and it still didn't control my flare ups. This medicine has it side effects too but I haven't experienced many other than pain in my joints recently, which is good since I've been taking Imuran for 9 years!"

scotto01 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 28, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Have been on azathioprine for 7 years for Crohn's maintenance and have not had a single relapse in this time. Had previously had allergic reaction but for some reason I now seem to be able to take it. Currently suffering from dizziness but doubt this is to do with the azathioprine as I have had it so long. Found that it works very quickly for me when I start taking it and is a lot better than being on steroids."

Leviathin (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 31, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "After about 2 weeks into the medicine, I started vomiting severely whenever I took this medication. Ended up in the hospital. I tried this medication again several years later and immediately started vomiting severely. I had to go by ambulance to the emergency room because I could not go by car. I would use extreme caution when first starting this medication because apparently it can cause severe side effects."

small town mom (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I'm a women age 39. I've been on Imuran for over 4 yrs. Before taking Imuran I was on methotrexate and Lyrica which I had EVERY SIDE EFFECT to. But when I switched medicines and began the Imuran it was very helpful! I could tell a big difference in how I felt. I also have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis as well. Over time and up to this point I'm feeling I need something stronger or even different. I can't tell that I have any known side effects from Imuran. Doctor suggested I try Benlysta. I'm scheduled to start that in two weeks! I'm very nervous because of some of the side effects but you never know until you try! Hope this was helpful! Best of luck!"

BB1217 March 27, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "I have been on imuran for at least 25 years. Have had few if any side effects. My lupus is basically in remission most of the time. I also take predisone."

barb_1939 (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Azathioprine worked well to reduce my ulcerative colitis symptoms and had zero noticeable side effects. The required frequent blood tests were a hassle and it did lower my white count significantly. In the end, the medicine was not sufficient to manage my condition and we added an anti-TNF to it. Once that was ramped up I discontinued azathioprine since it added nothing to the anti-TNF."

Tomh219 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 23, 2014

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Imuran seemed to help for a few months but after prolonged use it weakened my immune system too much. I started getting colds about every three weeks. Which made me feel run down and tired more so than just having colitis alone, but it did at least calm my symptoms for a while."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2013

Imuran (azathioprine) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: "I was on a steroid previously however due to the fact that I was constantly getting bacterial & viral infections and putting on a lot of weight, the doctor took me off the steroid and prescribed Imuran. So far it is working out better than the steroid."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 7, 2012

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Doctor put me on azathioprine because I got sick from taking methotrexate for my rheumatoid arthritis. Good news is it didn't make me sick and I had no noticeable side effects / Bad news is it didn't make pain/stiffness any better than taking nothing at all. Now going to try injectable methotrexate to see if that will work without the nausea/stomach side effects?"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 19, 2012

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Imuran greatly improved my systemic lupus erthematous (SLE) symptoms. I have neurological involvement and before this medicine my right foot was paralyzed. I can now walk thanks to this. I had blood work and all my values are normal now which was not the case before. I do not have any side effects either. It has been a lifesaver for me."

preocupada (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2012

Azasan (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease: "This pill works for me but I'm sure everyone is different. You just have to go get blood work every 3 months while on it. I been taking it for 5 years and I'm doing great, just make sure you eat a small meal before you take Azasan it can make you sick for a hour if you dont. I do recommend this pill if you have Crohn's. Ask your Doctor about it and see if it is right for you."

joey23 February 20, 2012

Imuran (azathioprine) for Autoimmune Hepatitis: "I have chronic autoimmune hepatitis and have been taking Imuran for four years. It has prevented further flare ups (which I have taken as much as a year to recover from) it enables me to live my life feeling well with mild side effects (some nausea)."

Anonymous February 2, 2012

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Have had ulcerative colitis for 26 years. Started Imuran after a flare up and within 1 week I thought it was a miracle and still am going to the bathroom 2 x a day and sleep all night. I worry about the side effects but I have a life again for now. Thanks to Imuran."

Living in the Bathroom August 19, 2011

For Ulcerative Colitis: "This medicine seemed to work at first, the negatives ultimately were worse than the positives. It did put me down to about 4 bowel motions a day but it was at the cost of horrendous acne, terrible headaches, joint pain and fatigue. Doctor still has me on it for another autoimmune disease but keeps me at a minimum."

borderlineblue August 3, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine) for Atopic Dermatitis: "I know its off-label, but it works. I have atopic dermatitis in my arms and legs and it goes away when I take it and comes back when I don't."

wgroth2 July 18, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Wonderful medicine. I was extremely sick, went 20 times to the bathroom in 8 to 9 hours, was really sick, finally gave in to start this medicine with the rest I had been taking. Within 5 hours everything slowed down. I felt like a new person. But sad to say it was short lived. I started reacting 2 to three days in and the reactions got worse. Had to stop taking it."

Southern Girl May 27, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: "Miracle drug for me after being on prednisone, flagyl, etc., for years. Diagnosed in 1988 and living a very normal life after Imuran!"

Ski4ever March 7, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "Have been using for over two years after several episodes of prednisone. Have been almost completely free of symptoms and have no obvious side effects. I only use the bathroom once a day and stools are generally well formed. No diarrhea at all. Can eat and drink normally (including roughage) but did have some pain after eating too much corn on the cob."

Anonymous January 28, 2011

Imuran (azathioprine) for Crohn's Disease, Acute: "Did not help much with my Crohn's, but less side effects than others."

Anonymous September 12, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Imuran caused a 10 day hospital stay for me. I was on it about 2 weeks, started running a fever of 104, had chills, very short of breath. I was treated for regular flu, swine flu, tested for all sorts of other breathing problems."

ThMom August 28, 2010

Azasan (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Elevated liver enzymes, nausea, and vomiting."

Anonymous August 23, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine) for Ulcerative Colitis: "I started Imuran after yet another dose of steroids and now I have got my confidence back I will only use the bathroom four times a day on a normal day but I am careful with my diet, no fiber."

Bambooman July 6, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine) for Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: "Worked well at higher doses but affected my liver functions so had to cut back on dosage. Helps on lower dosage but not as well."

VLE June 21, 2010

Imuran (azathioprine) for Renal Transplant: "Have been using Imuran for the past 39 years following a kidney transplant. Still healthy and going strong."

Anonymous March 22, 2010