Generic Name: phytosterol esters, dha, and epa (FYE-toe-STE-rol)
Brand Name: Vayarol
Vayarol is used for:
The dietary management of high triglyceride levels in certain patients.
Vayarol is a medical food containing phytosterol esters, DHA, and EPA. Exactly how it works is not known. It may decrease the production of triglycerides and reduce the absorption of cholesterol.
Do NOT use Vayarol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Vayarol
- you have a condition called phytosterolemia (sitosterolemia)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Vayarol:
Some medical conditions may interact with Vayarol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including fish, fish oil, or soy)
- if you have a blood clotting problem
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Vayarol. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, naproxen), or other medicines that may affect blood clotting because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Vayarol
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Vayarol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Vayarol:
Use Vayarol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Vayarol by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you also take cholestyramine, do not take it within 2 to 4 hours before or after taking Vayarol. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Vayarol, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Vayarol.
Important safety information:
- Follow the diet and exercise program given to you by your health care provider.
- Vayarol should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Vayarol while you are pregnant. It is not known if Vayarol is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Vayarol, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Vayarol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild stomach discomfort; tiredness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Vayarol:
Store Vayarol between 41 and 77 degrees F (5 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Vayarol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Vayarol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Vayarol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Vayarol or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Vayarol. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Vayarol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Vayarol.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.