Generic Name: naphazoline (naf-AZ-oh-leen)
Brand Name: Examples include Naphcon and VasoClear
VasoClear drops are used for:
Temporarily relief of redness due to minor eye irritation. It also protects against further irritation or dryness of the eyes due to smoke, sun glare, swimming, smog, or contact lenses.
VasoClear drops are a decongestant eye drop. It works by increasing fluid drainage from the eye, dilating the pupil, and narrowing the blood vessels of the eye.
Do NOT use VasoClear drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in VasoClear drops
- you have narrow-angle glaucoma
- you are taking furazolidone or have taken monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using VasoClear drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with VasoClear drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, or an overactive thyroid
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with VasoClear drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine ), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects, such as headache, increased body temperature, and high blood pressure, may be increased
- Bromocriptine or cocaine because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if VasoClear drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use VasoClear drops:
Use VasoClear drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- If you wear contact lenses, remove them before using VasoClear drops.
- To use VasoClear drops, first wash your hands. Tilt your head back and with your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from your eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Do not blink. Keep your eyes closed for 1 or 2 minutes. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from entering your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface including your eye.
- If you miss a dose of VasoClear drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use VasoClear drops.
Important safety information:
- VasoClear drops are for use in the eye only. Avoid contact with the nose and mouth.
- Do not use VasoClear drops if it changes color or becomes cloudy.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or use VasoClear drops for longer than 3 days without checking with your doctor.
- VasoClear drops are not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using VasoClear drops during pregnancy. It is unknown if VasoClear drops are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using VasoClear drops, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of VasoClear drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dilated pupils; worsening of irritation or redness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); change in vision; eye pain; headache.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. VasoClear drops may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of VasoClear drops:
Store VasoClear drops at room temperature between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) in a tightly-closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep VasoClear drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about VasoClear drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- VasoClear drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take VasoClear drops or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about VasoClear drops. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to VasoClear drops. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using VasoClear drops.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about VasoClear (naphazoline ophthalmic)
- Other brands: Naphcon, Clear Eyes Redness Relief, Albalon, Clear Eyes Maximum Redness Relief, More (5) »