Racepinephrine nebulizer solution
Generic Name: racepinephrine (race-ep-i-NEF-rin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Racepinephrine nebulizer solution is used for:
Treating shortness of breath, chest tightness, and wheezing associated with asthma, emphysema, and other breathing problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Racepinephrine nebulizer solution is an alpha- and beta-receptor stimulant. It works by widening the airway, which makes it easier to breathe.
Do NOT use racepinephrine nebulizer solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in racepinephrine nebulizer solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using racepinephrine nebulizer solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with racepinephrine nebulizer solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
- if you have an overactive thyroid, urinary problems, an enlarged prostate, diabetes, high blood pressure, ischemic heart disease, an irregular heartbeat, or other heart problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with racepinephrine nebulizer solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), droxidopa, or phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine) because the risk of high or low blood pressure and fast or slow heartbeat may be increased
- Bromocriptine, furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of side effects, such as headache, high temperature, and high blood pressure, may be increased
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), digoxin, or medicines for irregular heartbeat (eg, quinidine) because they may increase the risk of racepinephrine nebulizer solution's side effects
- Guanethidine because its effectiveness may be decreased by racepinephrine nebulizer solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if racepinephrine nebulizer solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use racepinephrine nebulizer solution:
Use racepinephrine nebulizer solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- If the medicine turns pink to brown in color or is cloudy, do not use it.
- Racepinephrine nebulizer solution is only for use by oral inhalation through a breathing machine (nebulizer). Carefully follow the procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of racepinephrine nebulizer solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use racepinephrine nebulizer solution.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Racepinephrine nebulizer solution may cause dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth. Rinsing your mouth with water after each dose may help relieve these effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using racepinephrine nebulizer solution while you are pregnant. Racepinephrine nebulizer solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use racepinephrine nebulizer solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of racepinephrine nebulizer solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Difficulty sleeping; fast heartbeat; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; tremors.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include headache; irregular heartbeat; nausea; tremor; vomiting; weakness.Proper storage of racepinephrine nebulizer solution:
Store racepinephrine nebulizer solution at room temperature, between 36 and 68 degrees F (2 and 20 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep racepinephrine nebulizer solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about racepinephrine nebulizer solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Racepinephrine nebulizer solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about racepinephrine nebulizer solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.