Generic Name: hepatitis b immune globulin (hep-ah-TY-tiss B ih-MYOON GLAH-bu-lin)
Brand Name: Examples include BayHep B and Nabi-HB
Nabi-HB is used for:
Preventing hepatitis B infection after exposure to the virus.
Nabi-HB is an immunizing agent. It works by temporarily increasing the antibody concentration, which helps protect against hepatitis B infection.
Do NOT use Nabi-HB if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Nabi-HB
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Nabi-HB:
Some medical conditions may interact with Nabi-HB. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had an allergic reaction to medicines made with human immune globulin
- if you have a blood disorder (eg, decreased blood platelets) or any other blood-clotting disorder
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Nabi-HB. However, no specific interactions with Nabi-HB are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Nabi-HB may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Nabi-HB:
Use Nabi-HB as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Nabi-HB is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions that you may have about Nabi-HB.
- If you miss a dose of Nabi-HB, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Nabi-HB.
Important safety information:
- Nabi-HB is made from human plasma and carries a slight risk of containing viruses that may cause disease. Ask your doctor any questions that you may have about the risks and benefits of using Nabi-HB.
- To prevent hepatitis B infection, more than 1 dose of Nabi-HB may be required. Be sure you receive all of the recommended injections.
- Check with your doctor before having vaccinations for mumps, rubella, or hepatitis for 3 months after you have received Nabi-HB.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever been vaccinated for hepatitis.
- Nabi-HB is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Nabi-HB during pregnancy. It is unknown if Nabi-HB is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Nabi-HB, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Nabi-HB:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; loss of appetite; nausea; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; slight fever.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Nabi-HB:
Nabi-HB is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Nabi-HB at home, store Nabi-HB as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Nabi-HB out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Nabi-HB, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nabi-HB is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Nabi-HB or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Nabi-HB. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Nabi-HB. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Nabi-HB.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.