Brand Name: MuGard
MuGard is used for:
Treating sores and ulcers in the mouth caused by various conditions (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, canker sores, surgery, poorly fitting dentures).
MuGard is a mucoadhesive. It works by forming a protective coating over the inside of the mouth.
Do NOT use MuGard if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in MuGard
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using MuGard:
Some medical conditions may interact with MuGard. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with MuGard. However, no specific interactions with MuGard are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if MuGard may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use MuGard:
Use MuGard as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Your doctor will tell you how much of MuGard to use. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Gently pour the prescribed amount of medicine into the mouth. Rinse the entire mouth for 1 minute or longer, if possible.
- If rinsing is not possible or is too painful, spread MuGard throughout the mouth by gently rotating your head.
- Be sure that all parts of the mouth have been covered by MuGard.
- Check with your doctor to see if you should spit MuGard out or swallow it after rinsing.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 1 hour after you use MuGard.
- If you miss a dose of MuGard, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use MuGard.
Important safety information:
- Do not dilute MuGard before using it.
- It is important to practice good oral hygiene as directed by your doctor or dentist while you are using MuGard. Talk with your doctor or dentist if you have questions about good oral hygiene.
- Use MuGard with caution in the ELDERLY; safety and effectiveness in the elderly have not been confirmed.
- MuGard should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using MuGard while you are pregnant. It is not known if MuGard is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use MuGard, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of MuGard:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with MuGard. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of MuGard:
Store MuGard at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store tightly closed and away from heat and light. Do not use MuGard past the expiration date on the bottle. Keep MuGard out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about MuGard, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- MuGard is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take MuGard or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about MuGard. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to MuGard. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using MuGard.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.