Generic Name: magnesium hydroxide (mag-NEE-zee-um)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Magnesium hydroxide is used for:
Treating acid indigestion, heartburn, sour stomach, and constipation. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Magnesium hydroxide is an antacid. It works by neutralizing the acid in the stomach and by stimulating the bowels to move.
Do NOT use magnesium hydroxide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in magnesium hydroxide
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using magnesium hydroxide:
Some medical conditions may interact with magnesium hydroxide. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have appendicitis, stomach pain, a blockage of your bowels, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney problems, rectal bleeding of unknown cause, or if you have had bowel surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with magnesium hydroxide. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by magnesium hydroxide
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by magnesium hydroxide
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if magnesium hydroxide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use magnesium hydroxide:
Use magnesium hydroxide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take magnesium hydroxide by mouth with or without food. Follow with a full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water or other liquid.
- If you miss a dose of magnesium hydroxide, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use magnesium hydroxide.
Important safety information:
- Magnesium hydroxide usually causes a bowel movement within 30 minutes to 6 hours of using it. If you do not have a bowel movement after using magnesium hydroxide, contact your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use the maximum dose for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 1 week or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Magnesium hydroxide should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if magnesium hydroxide can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using magnesium hydroxide while you are pregnant. It is not known if magnesium hydroxide is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use magnesium hydroxide, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of magnesium hydroxide:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; muscle weakness; nausea; slow reflexes; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; stomach cramps.Proper storage of magnesium hydroxide:
Store magnesium hydroxide at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep magnesium hydroxide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about magnesium hydroxide, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Magnesium hydroxide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about magnesium hydroxide. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about magnesium hydroxide
- Other brands: Milk of Magnesia, Phillips' Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax Milk of Magnesia, Ex-Lax Milk of Magnesia, More (1) »