Generic Name: calcium citrate (KAL-see-um SIT-rate with VYE-ta-min D)
Brand Name: Examples include Citracal+D and Citracal Petites/Vitamin D
Citracal+D is used for:
Treating or preventing calcium deficiency. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Citracal+D is a dietary supplement. It works by providing extra calcium to the body.
Do NOT use Citracal+D if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Citracal+D
- you have high blood calcium levels or high blood vitamin D levels
- you take aluminum salts (eg, aluminum chloride)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Citracal+D:
Some medical conditions may interact with Citracal+D. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have high blood phosphate levels or high levels of calcium in the urine
- if you have dehydration, heart problems, hardening of the arteries, kidney problems, kidney stones, or sarcoidosis
- if you take digoxin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Citracal+D. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Iron, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), sodium polystyrene sulfonate, tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thyroid hormones, or verapamil because their effectiveness may be decreased by Citracal+D
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Citracal+D may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Citracal+D:
Use Citracal+D as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Citracal+D by mouth with or without food.
- Take Citracal+D with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid that has aluminum in it within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Citracal+D.
- If you miss a dose of Citracal+D, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Citracal+D.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use Citracal+D unless your doctor tells you to.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Citracal+D before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- This product may contain tartrazine dye (FD&C Yellow No. 5). This may cause an allergic reaction in some patients. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to tartrazine, ask your pharmacist if your product has tartrazine in it.
- Lab tests, including serum calcium levels, may be performed while you use Citracal+D. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Citracal+D should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Citracal+D while you are pregnant. It is not known if Citracal+D is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Citracal+D, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Citracal+D:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); loss of appetite; nausea; severe or persistent constipation; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; delirium; loss of consciousness; mood or mental changes.Proper storage of Citracal+D:
Store Citracal+D at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Citracal+D out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Citracal+D, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Citracal+D is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Citracal+D or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Citracal+D. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Citracal+D. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Citracal+D.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Citracal + D (calcium / vitamin d)
- Other brands: Caltrate 600+D, Calcium 600 D, Os-Cal 500 + D, Oyster Shell Calcium with Vitamin D, More (27) »