Alprazolam Intensol solution
Generic Name: alprazolam (al-PRA-zoe-lam)
Brand Name: Alprazolam Intensol
Alprazolam Intensol solution is used for:
Treating anxiety and panic disorder. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alprazolam Intensol solution is a benzodiazepine. It works in the brain to decrease anxiety.
Do NOT use Alprazolam Intensol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alprazolam Intensol solution or other benzodiazepines (eg, diazepam)
- you have acute narrow-angle glaucoma
- you are taking delavirdine, itraconazole, ketoconazole, or sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alprazolam Intensol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alprazolam Intensol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are able to become pregnant
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of seizures, glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, kidney or liver problems, lung or breathing problems (eg, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD], sleep apnea), myasthenia gravis, or a blood disorder known as porphyria
- if you have a history of other mental or mood problems (eg, depression), alcohol or other substance abuse or dependence, or suicidal thoughts or actions
- if you are in poor health, are very overweight, or are experiencing abnormal muscle movements
- if you drink alcoholic beverages or you smoke
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alprazolam Intensol solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Methadone because it may increase the risk of serious and sometimes fatal breathing problems
- Amiodarone, azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), cimetidine, cyclosporine, delavirdine, diltiazem, ergot alkaloids (eg, ergotamine), fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, isoniazid, macrolide antibiotics (eg, clarithromycin, erythromycin), nefazodone, nicardipine, nifedipine, omeprazole, oral contraceptives (birth control pills), paroxetine, propoxyphene, protease inhibitors (eg, boceprevir, ritonavir), sodium oxybate (GHB), telithromycin, or valproic acid because they may increase the risk of Alprazolam Intensol solution's side effects
- Carbamazepine, rifamycins (eg, rifampin), or St. John's wort because they may decrease Alprazolam Intensol solution's effectiveness
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased and they may decrease Alprazolam Intensol solution's effectiveness
- Clozapine or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, desipramine, imipramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Alprazolam Intensol solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alprazolam Intensol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alprazolam Intensol solution:
Use Alprazolam Intensol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Alprazolam Intensol solution may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Measure the prescribed dose in the dropper provided with the medicine. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drop the dose into a liquid (water, juice, soda) or semisolid food (applesauce, pudding). Stir the liquid or food gently for a few seconds. Immediately drink all of the liquid or eat all of the food containing the medicine. Do not store the mixture for future use.
- If you are taking Alprazolam Intensol solution regularly, do not suddenly stop taking it without checking with your doctor. You may have an increased risk of side effects (eg, seizures). If you need to stop Alprazolam Intensol solution or add a new medicine, your doctor will gradually lower your dose.
- Check with your doctor before eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice while you use Alprazolam Intensol solution.
- If you miss a dose of Alprazolam Intensol solution and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alprazolam Intensol solution.
Important safety information:
- Alprazolam Intensol solution may cause drowsiness, dizziness, light-headedness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Alprazolam Intensol solution. Using Alprazolam Intensol solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using Alprazolam Intensol solution.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Alprazolam Intensol solution; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Smoking may decrease Alprazolam Intensol solution's effectiveness. Tell your doctor if you smoke or if you have recently stopped smoking.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Alprazolam Intensol solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Alprazolam Intensol solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially decreased coordination and drowsiness.
- Alprazolam Intensol solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Alprazolam Intensol solution may cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Alprazolam Intensol solution during pregnancy. Alprazolam Intensol solution is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Alprazolam Intensol solution.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Alprazolam Intensol solution may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Alprazolam Intensol solution stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Alprazolam Intensol solution may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take higher doses (eg, some patients with panic disorder) or use Alprazolam Intensol solution for a long time have a greater risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. If you stop taking Alprazolam Intensol solution suddenly, you may have WITHDRAWAL symptoms. These may include blurred vision; burning, numbness, or tingling; changes in smell or other senses; decreased appetite; decreased awareness of your surroundings; decreased concentration; diarrhea; muscle cramps or twitches; seizures; or weight loss.
Possible side effects of Alprazolam Intensol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Changes in appetite; constipation; decreased sexual desire or ability; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; light-headedness; nausea; tiredness; weight changes.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); behavior changes; blurred vision; burning, numbness, or tingling; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; decreased coordination; decreased urination; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; loss of balance or muscle control; memory or attention problems; menstrual changes; muscle twitching; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, depression, irritability, anxiety; exaggerated feeling of well-being); overstimulation; red, swollen blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent dizziness, drowsiness, or light-headedness; shortness of breath or trouble breathing; suicidal thoughts or actions; tremor; trouble speaking; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; loss of consciousness; severe drowsiness or deep sleep; slow reflexes.Proper storage of Alprazolam Intensol solution:
Store Alprazolam Intensol solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alprazolam Intensol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alprazolam Intensol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alprazolam Intensol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Alprazolam Intensol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alprazolam Intensol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Alprazolam Intensol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alprazolam Intensol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.