Can you take trazodone and amitriptyline together?

Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood...

Click on the link to read the full interation:,2228-0&consumer=1

Take care,

Yes, I've done so for years. But I take them in low dose and take it at night because i do have side effects such as dizziness, fogginess, etc. Which is why i only take them at night. By the morning, all side effects are gone. Helps me sleep and helps with headaches. It's a winning combination. I take 25mg amitripyline and 50mg trazodone. Good luck.

Hello cecini. No. Not recommended. (The risk factors run high) Unless your doctor feels the benefits out weigh the risks. regards pledge

A rheumatologist at Johns Hopkins prescribed both to me. Trazodone for sleeping and Amitriptyline for headaches. My primary doctor also with Hopkins said not to take both. I wasn't told why but I read about serotonin syndrome. I was put on something else for headaches.

I'm at a loss as to why you would want to. They are the same kind of drug.