Can you take trazodone and amitriptyline together?

Anonymous

Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood...

Click on the link to read the full interation:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=168-0,2228-0&consumer=1

Take care,

maso.-

Yes, I've done so for years. But I take them in low dose and take it at night because i do have side effects such as dizziness, fogginess, etc. Which is why i only take them at night. By the morning, all side effects are gone. Helps me sleep and helps with headaches. It's a winning combination. I take 25mg amitripyline and 50mg trazodone. Good luck.

Anonymous

Hello cecini. No. Not recommended. (The risk factors run high) Unless your doctor feels the benefits out weigh the risks. regards pledge

A rheumatologist at Johns Hopkins prescribed both to me. Trazodone for sleeping and Amitriptyline for headaches. My primary doctor also with Hopkins said not to take both. I wasn't told why but I read about serotonin syndrome. I was put on something else for headaches.

I'm at a loss as to why you would want to. They are the same kind of drug.