Why can't you have dairy while you are taking doxycycline hyclate 100 mg?

Dairy contains calcium and calcium binds to (chelates with) doxycycline and reduces it's absorption, perhaps decreasing it's effectiveness.

LadyDiana2005 12 Apr 2013

Also no sunshine. Take acidiphilis probiotic 3 hours before or after any antibiotic. I take three a day.drink plenty of water!

anxietyannie 5 Jul 2013

My bottle says 2hours before or after not to have dairy ... maybe I better call my pharm...

In addition to calcium containing compounds negatively impacting the somatic absorption of Doxy, please be aware that those taking an extended dose of antibiotics may lose their tolerance of 'dairy' altogether; particularly if you are over the age of 45. Your gut fauna changes due to the Doxy, hence the need for pro-biotics (esp. Saccharomyces Boulardii) to facilitate the displacement of potentially 'bad' gut cultures (esp. C. deficil).