What is the difference of Hydrocortisone and Fludrocortisone?

Hydrocortisone and Fludrocortisone are both corticosteroids.

Hydrocortisone has more glucocorticoid activity, which has more anti-inflammatory effects.

Fludrocortisone has more mineralocorticoid actvity, which is needed to keep a balance of water and electrolytes, hence also helps keep blood pressure in balance.

This is just a brief explanation - if you would like more information please add a comment and I'll try and elaborate.

silverheelsbell 20 Mar 2010

I was also wondering about the difference between these two meds so I hope you don't mind me jumping in your conversation.

Do you think then that Fludrocortisone may cause less weight-gain than Hydrocortisone?

Also, would Fludrocortisone be as effective as Hydrocortisone in treating Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH)?

RonPalmerInSD 27 Oct 2010

1. How much corticosteroid activity is in fludrocortisone compared to hydrocortisone?

2. I wonder if added fludrocortisone might allow the cut back of some of my hydrocortisone to keep it from getting too high?

3. Also, my doctor has prescribed 5mg of hydrocortisone at bedtime to keep my own cortisol from waking me too early. But it doesn't last long enough. Could fludrocortisone do this job and last a little longer?

Thank you for helping me to learn about these possibilities.