What is the difference between Novolin 70/30 and Novolog mix 70/30?

Understanding insulin can be confusing because there are so many types, some of the names sounds alike, and even have different variations of the same name. Types of insulin differ with respect to their source, how fast they begin to act, and how long their effect persists. Today most people use synthetic brands of insulin, such as Humulin and Novolin, which are identical to natural human insulin.

With respect to speed of onset and duration of effect, there are prompt, short, intermediate, and long-acting insulins.

Lispro (brand name Humalog or NovoLog) is a very-fast-acting insulin designed to take effect in less than 30 minutes and reach its peak sugar-lowering effect after 60 to 90 minutes. It is usually given 5-10 minutes before a meal and is effective for 3 to 5 hours.