What is a beta blocker?

Anonymous

Beta blockers, also known as beta-adrenergic blocking agents, are medications that reduce blood pressure. Beta blockers work by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine, also known as adrenaline. When taking beta blockers the heart beats more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure. Beta blockers also help blood vessels open up to improve blood flow.

Uses for beta blockers include but are not limited to: high blood pressure, irregular heart rhythm, heart failure, chest pain, heart attacks, glaucoma, migraines, generalized anxiety disorder, hyperthyroidism, and certain types of tremors.