What does gabapentin do for you is it just a muscle relaxer?

Hey tonylo,

Gabapentin is not a muscle relaxer. The mechanism by which Gabapentin exerts its analgesic action is unknown, but in animal models of analgesia, Gabapentin prevents allodynia (pain-related behavior in response to a normally innocuous stimulus) and hyperalgesia (exaggerated response to painful stimuli). It is more for pain caused by neuropathy or nerve pain.

Hope this helps,

It is most commonly used as anti seizure medication or nerve pain caused by an injury. I think it might also be used to help with fibromyalgia.