Is tramadol stronger than hydrocodone?

It is kind of a matter of opinion. They are both Schedule III opioids so they have about the same abuse potential. Most people tend to think hydrocodone is the stronger of the two though.

DzooBaby 24 Jul 2013

Now that I think on it tramadol may not be controlled.

kaismama 24 Jul 2013

Tired there dzoo?lolol No its not controlled, thank god or I'd not have anything for pain. I would say vicodin is stronger, but I'd never keep my eyes open with that.

DzooBaby 25 Jul 2013

yes, I thought about it afterwards and I was like... wait... I said that wrong! I think I have heard that is is controlled in some states but most sources say it is not controlled. It is really kind of silly because it is every bit as addictive and has potential for abuse as most Schedule III's even though it is not a true opioid. I remember when it first came out all the docs thought it wasnt addictive and wrote like crazy for the stuff then they realized it was actually addictive and could be abused so they backed off a bit and now there is a resurgence because Drs are under so much pressure to NOT write opioids but want to be able to give something for pain so Tramadol is getting used again and they are taking people off scheduled drugs and putting them on Tramadol. Rather oxymoronic in my opinion. I wish Drs would just get some balls and stand up to the pressure instead of backing down but I do understand most are not willing to lose everything trying to do it.