Is Tramadol for pets the same as for humans?

Hi djwalk,
I can tell you this, my vet said it is pretty much the same. My dog was prescribed this, so was I but vet said I could give my dog my tablets if we ran out of her tablets, so I suppose the opposite goes as well, yet, I would think that the cleanliness (at manufacturing plant) of any veterinary medication would NOT be the same as for humans, so I'd be pretty leery of taking my dog's tablets

MacIntosh12 22 Jun 2013

I must add this part, I would be remiss if I didn't... if you are just taking them to get a buzz going I must caution you, you raise your chance of having a seizure exponentially. Be careful!!

Hi, when i was working, the surgery i was with dispensed the same Tramadol to pets as you would dispense for humans. I didn't actually realise there was a pet version? Obviously the dosage would be much different. My dog was prescribed it when he was in pain from a gastric carcinoma.

MacIntosh12 23 Jun 2013

Hi Delila,
My dogs dosage was the same as me, take one or two 50mg tablets every six hours! Can you believe it? I just laughed.
Lara

Delila 24 Jun 2013

What breed are your dogs? My dog was a staffie, and he was prescribed one 50mg tablet 3 times a day(?) i think?

Just a word of caution... if you want to talk your pet's tramadol, then go for it, but PLEASE DO NOT give your pet Tramadol, or ANY OTHER MEDICATION that is prescribed to you without asking your pet's vet first of the medication and the dosage is ok for your pet! Just because the same drug is prescribed for both humans and pets does not mean that they can take the same dose and some medications can be toxic to your pet at certain doses!! Always contact your pet's vet!

It's exactly the same there isn't, so far, a pet version of Tramadol. By the way... just for everyone's FYI... when testing a urine for drugs... Tramadol shows up "asTramadol"! I was shocked, it showed up in my urine screening and I have never taken it before. When I had my screening the "woman" who was supposed to take the sample out of the box in the bathroom of my Dr. Office was to busy flirting with one of the nice looking drug reps and when I put my sample in the box... there were 2 others already in there! So this was a blatant mistake on that "woman's" part, but since this is a pain clinic... they of course did not believe me at all... this time I got a warning! But when testing for Tramadol... it is superficially tested for & it is not the usual routine testing... this is a huge panel test that these clinics usually do once or twice a year!

Delila 31 Jul 2014

Hi, that is terrible and totally incompetent!! So sorry you had to deal with that. I just want to second your reply, i used to be urine tested quite regularly and Tramadol always showed up (which was fine because i was prescribed it). It can stay in your system for a little while after you discontinue use