Should I let tramadol dissolve in my mouth, and what if I don't?

Hello Schoolnursehs. Tramadol is meant to be taken orally, with or without food. Regards pledge

Schoolnursedhs 20 Dec 2012

Hey Pledge, I just read online (pill identifier) that tramadol should be dissolved in the mouth not swallowed whole. I have chronic knee pain due to compressed 5 and 6 in my spine. Took 50mg about an hour ago and will take 75mg between 6:30 and 7:00 pm. Hopefully this will help. Thanks for responding, Schoolnurse

Kimstuff 22 Dec 2012

I had to google it since I'd never heard of it before, but you're right... there is a traadol that you do dissolve in your mouth, is this the one you're prescribed? Below is a quote from Everyday Health.

"To take tramadol orally disintegrating tablets (Rybix ODT):

Keep the tablet in its blister pack until you are ready to take it
Using dry hands, remove the tablet and place it in your mouth. It will begin to dissolve right away
Do not swallow the tablet whole. Allow it to dissolve in your mouth without chewing
Swallow several times as the tablet dissolves. If desired, you may drink liquid to help swallow the dissolved tablet."

Tramadol is meant to be swallowed whole. If it was meant to dissolve in the mouth your Rx label would specifically say to dissolve in the mouth. If in doubt, ask your pharmacist. Here is what the literature states:Take tramadol exactly as prescribed. Never take tramadol in larger amounts, or for longer than recommended by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label. Tell your doctor if the medicine seems to stop working as well in relieving your pain.

Tramadol can be taken with or without food, but take it the same way each time.

Do not crush, chew, or break a tramadol tablet. Swallow it whole. Breaking the pill may cause too much of the drug to be released at one time. This medicine is for oral (by mouth) use only. Powder from a crushed tablet should not be inhaled or diluted with liquid and injected into the body. Using this medicine by inhalation or injection can cause life-threatening side effects, overdose, or death.

Go ahead, put the pill in your mouth and let it dissolve. I personally guarantee, you will have not tasted anything so nasty in your mouth! You will choke and spit that bad-boy out! Tramadol is to be swallowed whole!

I took tramadol for years and have never heard of dissolving it in your mouth. Most drugs have a special coating to help them from dissolving before reaching your stomach. Unless the direction say to do this specifically I wouldn't, and even then I'd question it!

Hi, you can get an orally dissolving version of Tramadol, but it isn't available in all countries, i've copied and pasted a paragraph confirming this from 'Wisegeek' website...
"Tramadol is an opiate painkiller prescribed to relieve moderate to severe pain, usually for short periods of time. The medication comes in several different oral tablet forms, both in generic form and under several different brand names. Tramadol tablets are divided into different groups depending on their strength, whether they are mixed with other medications, and whether they are immediate or extended release. Most tramadol tablets are either round or oblong shaped and are swallowed. Dissolving oral tablets are available for patients who have trouble swallowing medications".
If you have the orally dissolving form then let it dissolve on your tongue. Don't try it with standard tablets or capsules though because, as one member has stated, it tastes horrendous! But can also actually be dangerous if a capsule dissolves in you throat.