Restless Legs Syndrome - Does Xanax help ease minor RLS?

I could. Different things for for RLS for different people. Hope this helps.

SandraLHoutz 9 Aug 2012

My sleep doc put me on Requip for this after my sleep study. I was using Restoril for sleep 30 mg and was sleeping very well but she wanted me to go this route ... not sure I like it as I'm not sleeping as well ... I can take 1 mg Klonopin with it or 10 mg of Serax ... but still not sleeping as well as I was on the Restoril ... and believe me I tried Ambien, Ambien CR, Rozarem, etc etc ... I just went up to a full 1 mg of the Requip last night -- and today I've had a fairly bad nauseated stomach ... so I'm hoping it's not from upping the Requip ... did you have a sleep study done?

balbanese 9 Aug 2012

Yes, but it was before the RLS. As much as I don't like it, Tramadol is what helps my RLS, although not with some of the stuff you're taking now. Again, different things work for each.

Xanax helps you sleep through RLS. However; there are better medications for RLS.
Best to you ... pamee

SandraLHoutz 9 Aug 2012

I'd be interested in hearing what you think Pam ... I think I have to stop taking the Requip ... first three nights were okay and tolerated at .5 mg and then I was to titrate up to 1 mg which I did two nights ago, first of those two nights I ended up with horrible stomach pain and nausea all day, which was yesterday, so I took another 1 mg at bedtime last night and my throat was swelling shut ... so I'm thinking NO to that drug ... I did e-mail my doc and told her. I did see my primary and we agree to let me take just 1-150 mg tab of Wellbutrin SR instead of the twice a day usual dosage of it and see if that's enough to curb my anxiety issues and I told her the best results I had sleep wise was using the Restoril ... so that's what i would like to do ... we shall see ... and the stupid Requip can also cause viral issues to flare-hence a nasty genital herpes flare I'm dealing with right now :( so not happy ... I have been free of it for almost 3 years due to taking daily Valtrex ...

Luna moth 9 Aug 2012

Thanks P, I have Xanax so hopefully that could ease the night spells a bit.

I have found Gabapentin to help my restless leg syndrome.

aubreysmom31 6 Nov 2012

Hi. I am new to this but when you tried gabapentin did it cause you migraines or to feel kind of woozy. After two days of 300 mg three times a day I had a migraine for 7 days got treated at the hospital, felt a little better so I tried it one more time and I have had a migraine for 5 days now.

pinkmom66 7 Mar 2013

The causing migraines is odd. Gabapentin is one of the medications they are using to treat my son's migraines.

I find that Xanax along w/ ambien & other sleep aids make my RLS worse & am trying to get some relief w/ it as well as I just self diagnosed my self but do have appt rhuematologist day after Xmas & am looking forward to it. Good luck hope you've found some relief

RLS is caused by inflammation. Xanax isn't going to help. It may mask the symptoms for a short while. What you need to do in order to lessen the RLS is to being an anti-inflammatory diet.