Will prednisone help with a gout flare up?

Hello gout man. Your question is curious. Are you saying this was prescribed or are you asking should you be taking it and your doc overlooked it?

Prednisone is an anti inflammatory medicine and surpresses the immune system and it can help reduce pain from inflammation. Gout is formed by the build up of urea crystals in the joints. I believe you should ask your doc some important questions to better understand what prednisone would do for you and what is happening with your level of disease.

More info with your question would also help. Take care and hope you find some relief.

docomono12 21 May 2012

Prednisone is a heavy-duty med.
Suppresses immune system - yeah does it really bad.
Can help short-term but you don't want to take it more than a week or so.
Took it myself with a real bad gout attack, doc prescribed it - first day 3 pills twice, then cut dose in half for each next four days.
It helped the acute pain and inflammation, but really it's a scary med to take.
Suppresses immune system -- means you really vulnerable to all kinds of infections while taking it.

endlessPred 22 May 2012

Hi Doco...
I have been on high dose prednisone for over seven years now. Please don't scare people who receive quick dose packs of a week or two. It can really turn around all kinds of conditions.

Suppression of the immune system in any significant way happens at high doses for extended periods of time. With quick packs one restores the immune system within a short time. The difference is small. Even on large doses, some immune system is still present.