Phentermine - Can you get a form of this drug over the counter?

Phentermine is a weight loss medication that is available by prescription only.

Take care, best wishes!

kmjhuson 22 Sep 2013

I live in Maryland and am having a hard time finding a doctor that prescribes phenthermine. I'm about a few days from running out and my gp retired. it's changed my life; I exercise, I have energy and I don't eat til I'm in food coma. If anyone knows a doctor that will prescribe me... I'll be grateful ! thank you, k

Anonymous

Dear Chad, Rajive is right, it is rx only, but most diet clinics that have a dr, will give you an rx pretty easily for phentermine aka adipex, if you are overweight and appear from your records and general health to be healthy enough to take it. It didn't work that well for me, Pledge, a member here, say it is ony supposed to be used for 3 weeks. I tried the more expensive med the diet clinin I use offers, it is called Didrex or Benzaphetamine and I have had better luck with it and tolerated it better. It is also an appetite suppressant and it only works really, if you actually cut calories, but it worked better than the phentermine did for me. Patti

swimming24 19 May 2013

Where did you get the Didrex and Benzaphetamine? Are the Rx only?

kmjhuson 22 Sep 2013

I asked the same to another member, and wanna ask you I live in Maryland and am having a hard time finding a doctor that prescribes phenthermine. I'm about a few days from running out and my gp retired. it's changed my life; I exercise, I have energy and I don't eat til I'm in food coma. If anyone knows a doctor that will prescribe me... BUT, WHO DID You GET THE BENZA FROM? Do you mind sharing? thank you, k

I just researched this, and from I see, you can purchase phentermine over the counter. I think what is not available now is phen/phen, which had two properties in it. Please be careful though, and I would suggest going to a diet doctor to be monitored if you choose to go that route.

Anonymous 7 Sep 2012

Just as a warning for those who do try to order this online, the combo Phen/fen was removed from the market in the US for causing heart valve problems. It is illegal to order rx meds online and the US customs has been catching people, they warned my ex boss, I saw the letter they sent him. He too, had ordered online rx aids, got them fine several times, then US customs seized his last order, sent him a letter saying if he attempted to order it again, they would prosecute separately for both orders. And you may not get any meds back or get fake meds. Don't order online, a diet dr can rx this too you. Patti

Paige78 7 Sep 2012

Wow! That's good they are that stiff, I guess. What I read is that phentermine can be purchased OTC in the United States. But you know how information is, always conflicting, and not always correct.

It is not only a prescription medication in the USA it is a controlled substance. No you cannot buy it legally without a prescription.

chad91468 8 Sep 2012

Thanks for your answer! What is the closest, or next best thing over the counter?

kaismama 8 Sep 2012

I really don't know, because most of them are contraindicated if you have high blood pressure, which I do. I would ask my pharmacist if I were you.

Hello chad - welcome to the site and I hope I can help with this issue as well. If you are trying to lose weight, I am going to recommend the plan I did. I lost 92 pounds and I have kept it off. It took me a total of 9 months had I done it straight through but I will say I was losing a rate of 10 lbs. per month. I used michael thurmonds 6-week body makeover. There are no drugs involved in this program. What you do get out of it is a lifestyle change. The foods that are recommended for you and your body-type are the foods that you can live with and by for the rest and best of your life. I am 58 years old and did this plan because I mad at one of my doctors and also mad at myself. After I lost all of the weight... I was still mad at myself that I didn't do it sooner. But I couldn't exercise because of all the surgeries I had over the years. That didn't seem to matter... I did start walking so that I could get some sense of balance back to my life.