What is the maximum daily dosage of Gabapentin?

3600 seems to be the magic number. I've been on gabapentin only a few weeks but already I've jumped from 900mg a day to 2400mg. I take it 600mg in four doses, breakfast, early afternoon, late evening, and bedtime. It really help with the sciatic leg pain and back pain. I have a herniated disk and I am waiting to have surgery as soon as they can schedule me. I think gabapentin is a great pain reliever, although it does make me very drowsy and clumsy. I would say don't drive while you're on this med.

Lucy1536 12 Oct 2015

Thank you so much. I'm going thru the same problem

tolleyrands 15 Oct 2015

I've been on gabapentin over a year now and it has been a blessing. I take 800mg at wake up, lunch, evening and bedtime. It really helped with my sciatic leg pain and back pain. I have a herniated disk and myofascial... I think gabapentin is best pain reliever even better than all the narcotics I was on for 13 years. I think more doctors ought to offer this at a higher dose for their pain managed patients. Just my thought.

600mg 5times a day

Watchandpray 17 Oct 2015

How does the 600 mg 5 x a day work for you? When do you take them at what times of the day? I am taking 600 mg 3x addy if need more relief.

Laurieroz 8 Jan 2016

I take it 6 times a day; every 2.5 hours, starting at 10:00 am.

In 2008 a Neurological Surgeon put me on a dose of 6400mg a day taken 4 x 1600mg every 6hrs for pain after an amputation... It seriously messed me up in the head after being on it for >6mo... Does this mean the UW Hospital Surgeon overdosed me???

jjaymes 11 Apr 2016

You'd be worse off without it. It speeds me up @ 1500mg twice daily. Keeps me awake. Helps with leg monsters and sciatic pain. Paraplegic leg pain.

I'm going a trip I need a question I have 300 mg gapapentin will that mess me up if take 400 mg I'm afraid of 400 because I take 300 once a day can someone help me on that question

yearsofit 29 Mar 2016

As always, you should have a dr/pa/np make dosage changes. I am always hesitant to make med changes right before a trip, so I understand. If you are taking gabapentin, you probably have a condition you don't want to risk any negative changes. Just a comment from my experience, gaba has a shorter half life, so many dr's spread out the daily dosage to 2-3x per day. i.e. three 100mg capsules. However, maybe you were prescribed that to just give benefit at certain time of day or night. I don't think they make 200mg, so am guessing you are prescribed 400mg for a particular time of day. For me, I went through many increases like yours and didn't really notice anything (after going through some of the negatives the first time gaba was prescribed). I was moved up to 3600mg/d. Remember to avoid grapefruit and its juice while on gaba.

jose perez morales 31 Mar 2016

I think u won,t have any problem using the 800mg at least once 3hrs before going 2 bed it work,s 4 me.

I take 1200 at the moment and I'm increasing slowly by taking an extra 100 at each dose but I am now wondering is it better to take an higher dose maybe in the morning or keep each dose at the same level?

I am a quadriplegic and have been on Nerotin for 5years. I'm on 1600mg 3x's daily. I am functioning fine with that dose. However if I should be admitted into the hospital the 1st thing they do is decrease the doseage. Am I really being prescribed to high of a does by my neurologist???

yearsofit 6 Apr 2016

After submitting, I see that I read your question wrong, and that they decrease rather than increase. Small decrease/increase when taking gabapentin doesn't change bioavailabilty to the body very much. Maybe the hospital pharmacy doesn't have the same size pills/capsules you normally use, so have to use a slightly different daily mg/d while there. Or their policy limits them from using an exception to the FDA guidelines. Or they have you on some other med temporarily in the hospital that is processed in kidneys, so trying to give the kidneys a little relief to compensate.

I've been on this drug for years and it has helped me tremendously above and beyond any amount of pain medicine could ever do. I started out with 1800 milligrams a day 3 times a day 600 milligrams. Then they switched me all the way up to 3600 milligrams and this seems to be working for me. I've tried the lyrica and the lyrica seems to make me too tired.

Shannon,
The maximum dosage is 3600 mg. I have been on 2700 mg & I take 900 mg 3x day & have been on this dosage for about 10 yrs. Once I felt like I needed more my Dr. decided to put me on Lyrica with the Gabapentin. Between the two medications they worked really great. So speak to your Dr. & see what would be best for you. Kathy

I take five(5) doses (6000mg) of 1200mg spread out through the day and evening. My first dose starts when I wake up and the last dose is before going to sleep. I have an acute burning throughout my body even though I'm taking this crazy daily dose. My doctor says its nerve damage. Double vision is something I've experienced since I started this dose. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that I can take which will reduce the burning feeling and do away with my double vision? Any help is appreciated.

Chelsea Caudle 19 Sep 2015

The blurred and double vision goes away with time eye drops saline drops help and from the really bad burning pain a muscle relaxer helps my doctor put me on one called Zanaflex that really helps and Percocet with tramadol. Also smoking marijuana when the pain and burning sensation gets really bad helps I use to judge people who used drip until I started having chronic back pain.I have a pitched sciatic nerve bulging disk severe arthritis so does my husband three small children he takes 1600mg of gabapitin a day I take 900 but I am asking the doctor to increase my does at night

MOSHESACHAR 21 Sep 2015

I have been taking 14,000 mg for about 2 weeks. 24 of the 600mg pills. I am freaking out that I am about to run out. I started with a few and went up to this.

I have trigeminal neuralgia, nerve damage in my face and I haven't found a dose of gabapentin that has been effective... currently taking 900mg tid but no real relief... I'm in so much pain when I have a flare up... maybe another med is needed??

geturnquist 23 Mar 2015

I feel you pain as I have Glossopharygeal Neurologia. I'm maxed out on Carbamenzaprine and at 3000 of Gabapentin. My doctor told me was time to call the Mayo Clinic. I'm surprised they haven't sent you there. Good luck as I've heard these pains are the worst one can experience.

CR123 11 May 2015

I was upped to 1200 for TN and gradually reduced to 900. I am now at 600 but have to be very careful about my triggers, however, by and large it works great..but it took a few weeks.

I am currently taking 2400 mg a day for my neck, shoulder & arm. It doesn't help at all. I take cortizon shots in my shoulder as well. NOTHING has helped me. I've been on a few meds but still no relief. Had shoulder surgery 7 yrs ago and it has just gotten worse. The whole right side from my neck to my hand nothing but pain. Something bad is going on. I need relief geesh. Can't even carry a purse anymore. Don't want anymore surgery...

KALane 12 Jan 2016

I had neck surgery in 2014 fusions at 2 levels (C4-C5 & C5-C6). Came out of the surgery with frozen shoulder. Have had relentless pain ever since. Had a 2nd surgery (foramenotomy, to check nerves exiting from my neck for impingement. The only relief I've experienced thus far was when I was all numbed up following the surgery. On 120mg (4X) oxycodone & 600mg Gabapentin 3X a day). I feel trapped in my body, and so frustrated and angry to have had 2 surgeries, and in more pain then when I started. It is true, that I had a bad neck (shape changed from an unhealthy 'S' shape, to a 'C' shape. Looks beautiful on film. Feels like hell every day.

KALane 12 Jan 2016

As a note, the Gabapentin does seem to help with shooting pain, on the back of my arm. Doesn't do anything to help the neck & shoulder pain, but I definitely notice a difference in the constant 'shooting' pain in my arm. I frequently forget to take it, and reminded when I start noticing that specific pain.

I am taking 5,200 per day for a nerve problem, causing severe pain, in my right leg and have crazy effects from it at times including a complete loss of my muscles. That includes dropping things that I am holding and even having my knees go out on me (though that has only happened twice). If the pain in my leg was not so bad I would cut back but the medication is the only relief that I can find.

TammyFink 25 Jan 2015

So this is why my left knee goes out on me, which has occurred while I was out and this was sop embarrassing, but what can you do about it. I have Sciatica which came from my piriformis being inflamed, which is located in my butt and with it being inflamed for a year and half it's now caused permanent damages, which has changed my life.

TammyFink 25 Jan 2015

And I'm prescribed 600MG three times a day.

I am taking 1800mgs/day of Gaba in hopes of combating the spasticity and nystagmus from my MS. It has not started working, yet. Any info is appreciated.

My neurologist has prescribed me @ only 900mg a day (1 300mg 3x a day)... This is a medication neuropathy and other things, I'm guessing. So far from what I've read, I am on the smallest does here. And I have a question also: does THIS particular med help with jitters (or ticks)? Or make it worse? I'm real jittery and have this annoying "ticks" (involuntary spasm movements) and it drives me crazy. You guys have mentioned sides effects if "forgetful" & "dropping" things, and I have both of those but idk if it's from just this med or a combo of this and others that I take! I take a crapload of things from diff diagnosis!

Hello Shanon,
To the best of my knowledge, the max dose of gabapentin is 3600mg per day. I currently take 2700mg myself on a daily basis. I take it for fibro and neuropathic pain. I hope this helps you.
In peace,
Tee

Stewie666 22 Feb 2015

Hi, shanon, as an ex-downhill mtber, I have severe nerve damage in my forearms and hands, have difficulty even holding a cuppa now, and I'm only 40. I'm on 2700mg of gabapentin, I'm thinking of asking my doctor to look at other options, as I've got to this amount over the period of a year and a half, and Myself and my wife are noticing a 'big' decline in my functions.

LoggyBear 10 Mar 2015

I've been asked to take 1600mg twice daily, but it started to not work. I changed it to 2400 twice daily for around two months or so but it still wasn't working as well. I eventually changed it of course myself not by doctor three times daily and it works most of the time and I've been using it like that for a few weeks like this but now it's not lasting through the night and my nerves are misfiring so fast that it feels as if it's vibrating and itches extremely. I don't know what to do. I just want to cut off my hands cause it's so painful I can't stand it anymore. Please if anyone has answers.

Page 1 2 Next