What is the maximum daily dosage of Gabapentin?

3600 seems to be the magic number. I've been on gabapentin only a few weeks but already I've jumped from 900mg a day to 2400mg. I take it 600mg in four doses, breakfast, early afternoon, late evening, and bedtime. It really help with the sciatic leg pain and back pain. I have a herniated disk and I am waiting to have surgery as soon as they can schedule me. I think gabapentin is a great pain reliever, although it does make me very drowsy and clumsy. I would say don't drive while you're on this med.

Lucy1536 12 Oct 2015

Thank you so much. I'm going thru the same problem

tolleyrands 15 Oct 2015

I've been on gabapentin over a year now and it has been a blessing. I take 800mg at wake up, lunch, evening and bedtime. It really helped with my sciatic leg pain and back pain. I have a herniated disk and myofascial... I think gabapentin is best pain reliever even better than all the narcotics I was on for 13 years. I think more doctors ought to offer this at a higher dose for their pain managed patients. Just my thought.

600mg 5times a day

Watchandpray 17 Oct 2015

How does the 600 mg 5 x a day work for you? When do you take them at what times of the day? I am taking 600 mg 3x addy if need more relief.

Laurieroz 8 Jan 2016

I take it 6 times a day; every 2.5 hours, starting at 10:00 am.

In 2008 a Neurological Surgeon put me on a dose of 6400mg a day taken 4 x 1600mg every 6hrs for pain after an amputation... It seriously messed me up in the head after being on it for >6mo... Does this mean the UW Hospital Surgeon overdosed me???

I take 1200 at the moment and I'm increasing slowly by taking an extra 100 at each dose but I am now wondering is it better to take an higher dose maybe in the morning or keep each dose at the same level?

I've been on this drug for years and it has helped me tremendously above and beyond any amount of pain medicine could ever do. I started out with 1800 milligrams a day 3 times a day 600 milligrams. Then they switched me all the way up to 3600 milligrams and this seems to be working for me. I've tried the lyrica and the lyrica seems to make me too tired.

Shannon,
The maximum dosage is 3600 mg. I have been on 2700 mg & I take 900 mg 3x day & have been on this dosage for about 10 yrs. Once I felt like I needed more my Dr. decided to put me on Lyrica with the Gabapentin. Between the two medications they worked really great. So speak to your Dr. & see what would be best for you. Kathy

I take five(5) doses (6000mg) of 1200mg spread out through the day and evening. My first dose starts when I wake up and the last dose is before going to sleep. I have an acute burning throughout my body even though I'm taking this crazy daily dose. My doctor says its nerve damage. Double vision is something I've experienced since I started this dose. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that I can take which will reduce the burning feeling and do away with my double vision? Any help is appreciated.

Chelsea Caudle 19 Sep 2015

The blurred and double vision goes away with time eye drops saline drops help and from the really bad burning pain a muscle relaxer helps my doctor put me on one called Zanaflex that really helps and Percocet with tramadol. Also smoking marijuana when the pain and burning sensation gets really bad helps I use to judge people who used drip until I started having chronic back pain.I have a pitched sciatic nerve bulging disk severe arthritis so does my husband three small children he takes 1600mg of gabapitin a day I take 900 but I am asking the doctor to increase my does at night

MOSHESACHAR 21 Sep 2015

I have been taking 14,000 mg for about 2 weeks. 24 of the 600mg pills. I am freaking out that I am about to run out. I started with a few and went up to this.

I have trigeminal neuralgia, nerve damage in my face and I haven't found a dose of gabapentin that has been effective... currently taking 900mg tid but no real relief... I'm in so much pain when I have a flare up... maybe another med is needed??

geturnquist 23 Mar 2015

I feel you pain as I have Glossopharygeal Neurologia. I'm maxed out on Carbamenzaprine and at 3000 of Gabapentin. My doctor told me was time to call the Mayo Clinic. I'm surprised they haven't sent you there. Good luck as I've heard these pains are the worst one can experience.

CR123 11 May 2015

I was upped to 1200 for TN and gradually reduced to 900. I am now at 600 but have to be very careful about my triggers, however, by and large it works great..but it took a few weeks.

I am currently taking 2400 mg a day for my neck, shoulder & arm. It doesn't help at all. I take cortizon shots in my shoulder as well. NOTHING has helped me. I've been on a few meds but still no relief. Had shoulder surgery 7 yrs ago and it has just gotten worse. The whole right side from my neck to my hand nothing but pain. Something bad is going on. I need relief geesh. Can't even carry a purse anymore. Don't want anymore surgery...

KALane 12 Jan 2016

I had neck surgery in 2014 fusions at 2 levels (C4-C5 & C5-C6). Came out of the surgery with frozen shoulder. Have had relentless pain ever since. Had a 2nd surgery (foramenotomy, to check nerves exiting from my neck for impingement. The only relief I've experienced thus far was when I was all numbed up following the surgery. On 120mg (4X) oxycodone & 600mg Gabapentin 3X a day). I feel trapped in my body, and so frustrated and angry to have had 2 surgeries, and in more pain then when I started. It is true, that I had a bad neck (shape changed from an unhealthy 'S' shape, to a 'C' shape. Looks beautiful on film. Feels like hell every day.

KALane 12 Jan 2016

As a note, the Gabapentin does seem to help with shooting pain, on the back of my arm. Doesn't do anything to help the neck & shoulder pain, but I definitely notice a difference in the constant 'shooting' pain in my arm. I frequently forget to take it, and reminded when I start noticing that specific pain.

I am taking 5,200 per day for a nerve problem, causing severe pain, in my right leg and have crazy effects from it at times including a complete loss of my muscles. That includes dropping things that I am holding and even having my knees go out on me (though that has only happened twice). If the pain in my leg was not so bad I would cut back but the medication is the only relief that I can find.

TammyFink 25 Jan 2015

So this is why my left knee goes out on me, which has occurred while I was out and this was sop embarrassing, but what can you do about it. I have Sciatica which came from my piriformis being inflamed, which is located in my butt and with it being inflamed for a year and half it's now caused permanent damages, which has changed my life.

TammyFink 25 Jan 2015

And I'm prescribed 600MG three times a day.

I am taking 1800mgs/day of Gaba in hopes of combating the spasticity and nystagmus from my MS. It has not started working, yet. Any info is appreciated.

My neurologist has prescribed me @ only 900mg a day (1 300mg 3x a day)... This is a medication neuropathy and other things, I'm guessing. So far from what I've read, I am on the smallest does here. And I have a question also: does THIS particular med help with jitters (or ticks)? Or make it worse? I'm real jittery and have this annoying "ticks" (involuntary spasm movements) and it drives me crazy. You guys have mentioned sides effects if "forgetful" & "dropping" things, and I have both of those but idk if it's from just this med or a combo of this and others that I take! I take a crapload of things from diff diagnosis!

Hello Shanon,
To the best of my knowledge, the max dose of gabapentin is 3600mg per day. I currently take 2700mg myself on a daily basis. I take it for fibro and neuropathic pain. I hope this helps you.
In peace,
Tee

Stewie666 22 Feb 2015

Hi, shanon, as an ex-downhill mtber, I have severe nerve damage in my forearms and hands, have difficulty even holding a cuppa now, and I'm only 40. I'm on 2700mg of gabapentin, I'm thinking of asking my doctor to look at other options, as I've got to this amount over the period of a year and a half, and Myself and my wife are noticing a 'big' decline in my functions.

LoggyBear 10 Mar 2015

I've been asked to take 1600mg twice daily, but it started to not work. I changed it to 2400 twice daily for around two months or so but it still wasn't working as well. I eventually changed it of course myself not by doctor three times daily and it works most of the time and I've been using it like that for a few weeks like this but now it's not lasting through the night and my nerves are misfiring so fast that it feels as if it's vibrating and itches extremely. I don't know what to do. I just want to cut off my hands cause it's so painful I can't stand it anymore. Please if anyone has answers.

Ok.
After reading through other replies I am confused and mildly pissed off.
I am prescribed 3600mgs (600mgs 3x) but regularly take uowards of 6000 mgs for the neuropathy in my feet.
I have told both Drs that have prescribed the med for me this and both told me that 3600 is the most one should take due to the possibility of seratonin syndrome, yet I have seen (here) that a couple of people are prescribed 5000-6000mgs.
1st off, wtf???
2ndly, where can I find these doctors?

Also, does anyone know of any other medication (besides lyrica, which doesn't work for me) for periphreal neuropathy?

yearsofit 18 Jan 2016

Peer reviewed journal articles and studies can have conflicting information, or if not read thoroughly enough can be read out of context, or can be just plain misread. I have read many articles or studies about gabapentin. One included that lower dosages might actually provide more benefit than higher dosages. Might also have more side effects too. Another one said in their study that 90% do not need to go over 1800mg. Another one said that anything over a certain amount is just passed through urine out of the body. These articles or studies are not FDA regulations or approval, but studies that might or might not influence the FDA.

Since healthcare professionals and insurance companies are going to follow the FDA, it makes sense to first learn info directly from the FDA.

The information I've seen indicates a maximum daily dosage of 3600 mg but I was prescribed two 600 mg tablets four time daily and I've taking it for 10 years with no problems. However I rarely take it except at night and for occasional anxiety which is common for people with my disease. I was diagnosed with Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy 14 years ago.

CR123 11 May 2015

I am so glad you posted that you have been on Gaba for 10 years , I am going on 4 years this fall and was worried that it might be too long. I am on a much lower dosage for TN and it is great to see that you have had not ill effects... nor I have I to this point.

Deirdre Singer 10 days ago

I was prescribed 300mg tds and I asked if I could go up to 400mgs as nothing was working .Crazy or what. I've been making the mistake of taking 1200tds but the good thing is it actually has got rid of my pain which I've had for over 16 years feels like heaven ,I've been taking 3600 daily .Is that too high a dose?? Please advise.Dont want to go down a dose now as pain will come back.

Page 1 2 Next