What is the maximum daily dosage of Gabapentin?

Hello Shanon,
To the best of my knowledge, the max dose of gabapentin is 3600mg per day. I currently take 2700mg myself on a daily basis. I take it for fibro and neuropathic pain. I hope this helps you.
In peace,
Tee

Stewie666 22 Feb 2015

Hi, shanon, as an ex-downhill mtber, I have severe nerve damage in my forearms and hands, have difficulty even holding a cuppa now, and I'm only 40. I'm on 2700mg of gabapentin, I'm thinking of asking my doctor to look at other options, as I've got to this amount over the period of a year and a half, and Myself and my wife are noticing a 'big' decline in my functions.

LoggyBear 10 Mar 2015

I've been asked to take 1600mg twice daily, but it started to not work. I changed it to 2400 twice daily for around two months or so but it still wasn't working as well. I eventually changed it of course myself not by doctor three times daily and it works most of the time and I've been using it like that for a few weeks like this but now it's not lasting through the night and my nerves are misfiring so fast that it feels as if it's vibrating and itches extremely. I don't know what to do. I just want to cut off my hands cause it's so painful I can't stand it anymore. Please if anyone has answers.

It is 3600mg. Usually it is administered 900mg 4x per day at that dose. I was at that dosage for a couple years. When needed, lower dosages are slowly raised by a doctor after side effects and benefits are evaluated at lower dosages. There is a lot of information out there that indicates its effectiveness wears out for some people and an increase may be needed. However, once you are at 3600mg, you have no place to go. Personally, I would recommend trying to not go past 2700mg, so you have the mental encouragement that it can be raised if things get worse. People at these pain levels need psychological strengths as well. At 3600mg, you might be able to find a doctor that will prescribe Lyrica in addition to get to a higher dose of gaba receptors. I would suggest researching the FDA guidelines first on that issue. Everyone reacts differently to meds.

Trish Schiesser 10 Nov 2014

yearsofit: I read your answer to the woman asking about gabapentin.

Your story is one that is quite emotional to this reader.
I just wanted to say good luck in training your brain and stopping the
ringing in your ears.

I wish you good luck and my prayers are going out to you.

Hang in there. :)

Trish

yearsofit 10 Nov 2014

Thanks for your concern and prayers. It's been 1 1/2 years since being on here, so another long recap. Doing a lot better. About a year after stopping gaba, weight started dropping back to normal without trying. Ear ringing got better and still haven't had another pneumonia. Pneumonia almost got me several times during my decade from hell. Even though pneumonia is listed as a rare side effect of gaba, being bedridden and not being able to breathe deeply without pain were probably the bigger culprits. Vision has stabilized, so I am not using 3 different glasses.

Shannon,
The maximum dosage is 3600 mg. I have been on 2700 mg & I take 900 mg 3x day & have been on this dosage for about 10 yrs. Once I felt like I needed more my Dr. decided to put me on Lyrica with the Gabapentin. Between the two medications they worked really great. So speak to your Dr. & see what would be best for you. Kathy

In 2008 a Neurological Surgeon put me on a dose of 6400mg a day taken 4 x 1600mg every 6hrs for pain after an amputation... It seriously messed me up in the head after being on it for >6mo... Does this mean the UW Hospital Surgeon overdosed me???

I am taking 5,200 per day for a nerve problem, causing severe pain, in my right leg and have crazy effects from it at times including a complete loss of my muscles. That includes dropping things that I am holding and even having my knees go out on me (though that has only happened twice). If the pain in my leg was not so bad I would cut back but the medication is the only relief that I can find.

TammyFink 25 Jan 2015

So this is why my left knee goes out on me, which has occurred while I was out and this was sop embarrassing, but what can you do about it. I have Sciatica which came from my piriformis being inflamed, which is located in my butt and with it being inflamed for a year and half it's now caused permanent damages, which has changed my life.

TammyFink 25 Jan 2015

And I'm prescribed 600MG three times a day.

3600 seems to be the magic number. I've been on gabapentin only a few weeks but already I've jumped from 900mg a day to 2400mg. I take it 600mg in four doses, breakfast, early afternoon, late evening, and bedtime. It really help with the sciatic leg pain and back pain. I have a herniated disk and I am waiting to have surgery as soon as they can schedule me. I think gabapentin is a great pain reliever, although it does make me very drowsy and clumsy. I would say don't drive while you're on this med.

I take five(5) doses (6000mg) of 1200mg spread out through the day and evening. My first dose starts when I wake up and the last dose is before going to sleep. I have an acute burning throughout my body even though I'm taking this crazy daily dose. My doctor says its nerve damage. Double vision is something I've experienced since I started this dose. Is there anything else that anyone knows of that I can take which will reduce the burning feeling and do away with my double vision? Any help is appreciated.

I have cervical spinal stenosis with myelopathy in my neck, spondylosis and degenerated discs with 3 fusions completed in less than 2 years. Basically my whole neck is crashing down and pinching my spinal cord in various places. I didn’t find Lyrica to be helpful but gabapentin was a miracle drug for me. I am also on various other drugs for pain, fentanyl patch, Effexor (anti-depressant for nerve pain), muscle relaxer cylobenzaphrine (very effective too) and Celebrex for arthritis. It was trial and error until finding the right “cocktail” mix that worked. Higher dose of gabapentin helped me the most, over 1800, until I was on 2,400. I had few side effects. The dropping items while trying to grab them on occasion and being forgetful, out weighted the pain relief I received.

My neurologist has prescribed me @ only 900mg a day (1 300mg 3x a day)... This is a medication neuropathy and other things, I'm guessing. So far from what I've read, I am on the smallest does here. And I have a question also: does THIS particular med help with jitters (or ticks)? Or make it worse? I'm real jittery and have this annoying "ticks" (involuntary spasm movements) and it drives me crazy. You guys have mentioned sides effects if "forgetful" & "dropping" things, and I have both of those but idk if it's from just this med or a combo of this and others that I take! I take a crapload of things from diff diagnosis!

I have trigeminal neuralgia, nerve damage in my face and I haven't found a dose of gabapentin that has been effective... currently taking 900mg tid but no real relief... I'm in so much pain when I have a flare up... maybe another med is needed??

geturnquist 23 Mar 2015

I feel you pain as I have Glossopharygeal Neurologia. I'm maxed out on Carbamenzaprine and at 3000 of Gabapentin. My doctor told me was time to call the Mayo Clinic. I'm surprised they haven't sent you there. Good luck as I've heard these pains are the worst one can experience.

CR123 11 May 2015

I was upped to 1200 for TN and gradually reduced to 900. I am now at 600 but have to be very careful about my triggers, however, by and large it works great..but it took a few weeks.

The information I've seen indicates a maximum daily dosage of 3600 mg but I was prescribed two 600 mg tablets four time daily and I've taking it for 10 years with no problems. However I rarely take it except at night and for occasional anxiety which is common for people with my disease. I was diagnosed with Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy 14 years ago.

CR123 11 May 2015

I am so glad you posted that you have been on Gaba for 10 years , I am going on 4 years this fall and was worried that it might be too long. I am on a much lower dosage for TN and it is great to see that you have had not ill effects... nor I have I to this point.

600mg 5times a day

8 days ago

What is the effect if 36000 of ran-gabapentin is taken at one time