Is there an over the counter drug thats similar to tramadol I could take?

Not that I am aware of. You have your motrin, advil ect. Even with these drugs, be very careful. Years ago (when I was employed), I took massive amounts of ibuprofin 1200 + Mg. One day I was rushed to the hospial with chest pains. It was my stomach causing the pain. My stomach was covered with blisters!

Hello, I first off just want to let u know I totally understand how bad backpain can be. That is one reason I got addicted to opiates so bad. I was more addicted to lortab/vicodin than anything and I know u needcsimething strong to help backpain sometimes. However I am now in methadone treatment for almost 4 yrs now and have not taken an opiate, but am now addicted to methadone and cant get off. This addiction has ruined my life. I wild talk to your dr. and tell him the pain you're in and if he prescribes u an opiate, which tramadol is, also get with a pain specialist which will help keep u from addiction. Until then the strongest OTC pain relievers I can recommend would be excedrin, Aleve, and advil/motrin/ibuprofin. However please don't go overboard with these meds cuz too much of them can be harmful. I am not trying to sound mean I just don't want to see anyone end up in my position. GOOD LUCK and please contact me if i can help in anyway. I will friend u:-) hope u get to feeling better.

Angelbaby77 19 Apr 2012

I know this is way old but Tramadol is NOT an Opiate... Tramadol is a NON 0 Narcotic pain reliever. This is actually what they will give you if you are an addict and wish to stay "clean" and you have pain or a surgery. They will give you Tramadol for the pain. It has also been used when withdrawing from opiates.. .. Dont think that you would use an opiate when withdrawing from them ... Tramadol is NOT AN OPIATE>

Papervito 30 Nov 2013

to agree with Angel, Tramadol is a "man-made (synthetic) analgesic" (pain reliever). Its exact mechanism of action is unknown, but it is similar to morphine. Like morphine, tramadol binds to receptors in the brain (narcotic or opioid receptors) that are important for transmitting the sensation of pain from throughout the body to the brain. Tramadol, like other narcotics used for the treatment of pain, may be abused. Tramadol may increase central nervous system and respiratory depression when combined with alcohol, anesthetics, narcotics, tranquilizers or sedative hypnotics. This can reduce the level of consciousness or lead to respiratory insufficiency. Abrupt withdrawal of tramadol may result in anxiety, sweating, insomnia, rigors, pain, nausea, diarrhea, tremors, and hallucinations.