Is there a generic form of L-Methylfolate? Our insurance doesn't cover Deplin?

after considerable research, i believe there is no generic for it. and the brand is pricey for sure. i got some sample bottles from my doc and have been on it along with pristiq for 4 days. its too early for the prisiq to kick in, but deplin goes to work in your body right away. today is the first day i actually feel like my old normal self. its amazing. and if this streak continues i am going to do a formal appeal to my insurance to put it in their formulary, or at least propose that they pay for some of it. generally here in WA, its about $100 for a months supply.

PRBmom 29 Aug 2011

Wow - they want $350 a month here in Florida!! I'm going to try appealing to my health care insurance carrier, too, but have little hope that they will cover it - we have a really BAD plan thorugh my employer. My son was prescribed the same combination (Pristiq and Deplin) that you are on and was amazed at the immediate response he had with the Deplin. When we couldn't afford to fill the Deplin prescription, the psychiatrist suggested that we substitute a high-dose B-complex supplement, but after being on it for 3 months my son says it doesn't have the same effect at all. We are just going to have to find a way to pay for the Deplin to get the results he needs.

anniepc1234 29 Aug 2011

can you have it mail ordered from here or canada at a better price? i haven't looked at that option yet. i also read that if your son tried to substitute the b vitamins for the methylfolate, he'd have to take 66 pills a day of the over the counter stuff to equal 1 pill of the prescription!! no wonder it didn't work for him! i'm sure he didn't take 66 tabs a day. $350 is highway robbery. can you believe that? those drug companies have their nerve. and this isn't even classified as a drug, its a "medical food". crazy over pricing once again. so glad your son got some good results from this. i'm betting it will just get more expensive because people are starting to pay attention since folks are getting good results. i would check out the canadian mail order thing. i used it a couple of times on another drug a few years ago, and it was much less than here. so good luck and let me know if you find anything you think is a good deal. by the way, are you talking about the 7.5mg tablet?

PRBmom 29 Aug 2011

He was actually prescribed the 15 mg tablets. If we had realized that it was going to be so expensive, we could have experimented with cutting the tabs to 7.5 mg to see if he got the same response with the lower dose. But we only had a week's worth of samples and didn't know about the price until we went to pick up the prescription! One of the other responses suggested trying Metafolin as much less expensive and apparently having the same ingredients. I'm going to check into the availability of that, too, while I'm checking out ordering from Canadian pharmacies and appealing to my insurance company.

edward3982 24 Apr 2012

No generic; not available in Canada; most insurance will not cover since it is considered a nutritional food rather than a drug. The fact that it requires a prescription doesn't matter. I spend about $100/month for it. I am a pharmacist.

koreys 29 May 2013

Call the manufacturer of Deplin, called Brand Direct, at 1-866-331-6440. Ask them how much it would cost if you order a 90 day supply directly from them, and you pay out of pocket. They do have a program where you can pay monthly (or you can pay for 90 days all at once). I think getting it directly from the manufacturer is cheaper than going locally. Or, you could try something alternative, and try a pharmacy in Canada. My Dr. Just suggested this to me and it was a lot cheaper, plus they give you the option to pay either up front or 3 equal payments taken out monthly over 3 months. I chose the option to get the 90 day supply and pay 3 separate payments from the Manufacturer.

bigspring2 5 Aug 2013

My doctor let me know about Brand Direct Health Pharmacy and I can get Deplin for 90 days at $148. Their number is 866-227-5928. I hope that helps everyone looking for a reasonable price since it seems no insurance companies are paying for the medicine.

hawaii1205 29 Sep 2014

I just bought 30 pills for 30 dollars. Last month I paid 90. No gimmicks
18882425327 and free shipping. L-methylfolate calcium 15 mg.

hawaii1205 29 Sep 2014

Rlssun 23 Oct 2014

This is something I just found. The biggest gripe with Deplin is the cost: One month's supply of Deplin, either at 7.5 milligrams or 15 milligrams, can cost as much as $98 and not all insurers cover it. Pamlab has a licensed generic version called simply L-Methylfolate that went on the market in August and is priced somewhat lower. More insurers are covering that version, some with copayments as low as $20, says Pamlab, which also makes medical foods for managing other conditions, including asthma.

itzdabear 5 Mar 2015

Yes, there is a generic, same thing and cheaper: l-methlfolate.

koalagirl 23 Apr 2015

My doctor's office suggested Methyl Life 15mg, purchased through Amazon. $77 for 90 chewable tablets.