I'm prescribed oxycodone but my doctor says my urine test shows hydrocodone, how is that possible?

Did you take any vicodin, norco? The other thing could be a mistake at the lab? What did your doctor say? Curious maybe there was some sort of mix up. Did your doctor give you any answers, well I guess not or you would not be looking here. I would ask for a retest. good luck

kriskinsey 10 Feb 2012

what is the difference in the urine? aren't they both opiates anyway? How do they tell them apart?

ksrock2 10 Feb 2012

I am not a lab tech but I do know that if a doctor orders the lab to look for a specfic narcotic it can be done. They used to just look for opiates but some docs are ordering more specific tests. My pain doc would just look for oxycontin when I was taking that he wanted to see if the amount he was prescribing was theraputic he showed me the results and it was a chart. he was not testing me for other drugs or did he think I was taking anything I shouldn't, and I was not I have severe pain and only took what I was prescribed.

Hydrocodone and oxycodone are two different derivatives. The metabolites they break down into are different. This is how the lab tells them apart. There are metabolites in one that are not in the other and vice versa, and this is how they tell the difference. So, you have either taken a hydrocodone-norco, vicodin, lortab etc or it is possible the test was defective if it was an assay test. If they did a GC-MS test then it is most definite that the test subject has hydrocodone in their system.

I don't know how it's possible, but know it IS possible because it happened to me. My test results show hydrocodone (low amount), oxymorphone and oxycodone. I'm only prescribed Oxycontin and only take Oxycontin. I was told I "passed" the test. I believe your doctor is not understanding how to read the test.

On my test results paper it says "The presence of more than one opiate in urine may reflect drug metabolism or use of multiple drugs. Low concentrations of an unexpected opiate in the presence of large concentrations of another opiate may also reflect impurities in the pharmaceutical preparation" and