I have Lupus, Fibromyalgia and RA. Is it okay to take melatonin to help me sleep?

You really need to ask a doctor due to your mixture of illnesses and the other medications you take. I am not suppose to take melatonin due to my thyroid problems. There may be sites where you can ask a doctor or a nurse, but you will need to tell them your illnesses and all your medications.

caringsonbj 2 Apr 2011

Just so you are safe with your medical history I agree you do need to talk with your physician that way he has a clear picture and can give you a safe answer I wish you the very best!!!

timberland 30 Aug 2011

although melatonin is all natural for aid with sleeping it does counter act with some prescribed meds... so check with your dr..before dosing yourself... T

Anonymous

What other meds are you taking? any? You sound like you are in a lot of pain, & I know with fibromyalgia it's so hard to sleep. I take Xanax & it really helps me. I tried Melatonin & had a completly reverse reaction to it, but I do with a lot of things. I was so awake I was up all night with it. It may help you tho, so check with your doc if you are on other meds first. Hope this helps...

I agree you should contact your doctor about taking Melantonin. I was surprised to hear someone say she could not take it because of Thyroid issues. I have Thyroid issues and can take Memantonin. So I agree talking to your doctor is the most important because each of us are different and some things can work for others that do not work for ourselves. Hope you feel better soon. Sleep is so important and I suffer for insmonia do to multiple chronic pain issues. But I am still trying differentt approaches. I just saw my holistic doctor and I am starting a different tye of melantonin,mixed with low dose of Ambien. I am going to go back on Amitryphline for I just read it helps with Fibroymalgia,IC and IBS. I also met with my PCP today and we all agree sleep can make the difference in how we feel so good luck!

chronicfatigue 2 Apr 2011

I have had insomnia for many years. I read on the bottle of melatonin that I should not take it if I had thyroid problems, and didn't talk to my doctor. My major problem is that I can't get to sleep, so I do take 1/2 of a generic ambien to get me to sleep, I read for maybe 20 minutes and go right to sleep. I have to get up several times during the night, but normally don't have a problem going back to sleep, so don't need the full tablet usually. Before that I spent years getting very little sleep. Glad mine turned out to be an easy fix.

Hi. I recently read on the Lupus Foundation website that rheumatologists advise those with Lupus and other autoimmune disease to NOT take melatonin. It can stimulate flares. They also advise against Rozerem (a prescription sleep med) because it has some of the same actions as melatonin, and can stimulate flares. They specifically listed Ambien (prescription) and sleep meds containing diphenhydramine (OTC) as safe for Lupus. I'm an RN and I also have Lupus and Fibromyalgia, so I frequently research treatments. One thing they've discovered is that sleep meds like Ambien can be more effective for sleep and nightime pain than just taking something for the pain to be able to sleep. Plus, the more trouble you have sleeping, the worse the pain becomes. Talk to your doctor about Ambien, etc. Good luck!!!

chronicfatigue 6 Apr 2011

Thank you for the info. I did not know why I wasn't suppose to take it. I appreciate the answer.