I am taking valtrex to prevent herpes, can my partner get herpes?

Dearest Marjorie and Bucky, can I ever get an answer in? And Maso too! Of course the first 2 answers are totally correct. Please follow their advice.

Valtrex does not prevent Herpes it only makes the outbreak less severe. Your partener can still get Herpes even if you don't have an outbreak because you still have a live virus going on in your body. Hope this info helps, please use protection if you want to protect the partener. No disrespect intended by this comment though. marjorie zych

Anonymous 7 Jul 2010

I agree 100%

Marjorie is correct,
Valtrex is an antiviral. It works by stopping viral replication. However, Valtrex does not eliminate the virus; it is not a cure.
When used as a suppressive therapy in patients with normal immune systems with genital herpes using safer sex practices, the risk of spreading the infections to others is reduced
Safer sex practices can lower the chances of passing genital herpes to your partner.
Do not have sexual contact with your partner when you have any symptoms or outbreak of genital herpes.
Use a latex or polyurethane whenever you have sexual contact.
Life is not over, it's just postponed for a while for safty sake