I am taking levothyroxin and wondered how long the pills are effective after the expiration date?

They are not good after the expiration date, especially levothyroxine.

Drugs work differnet from food expirations. A drug is considered exired when 10% of the active drug has broken down. In most cases, it doesn't hurt someone but it doesn't help.

In the case of Levothyroxine, you do not want fluctations of drug. A small difference in pills means a big difference in the body. This is what is called "narrow therapeutic'

It is posible that taking the expired medicine will make you hypothyroid.

Brian PharmD Candidate