How many Unisom can I take without it killing me?

Well, that's a very vague question, and kind of hard to answer. Is your problem really terrible insomnia? If so, you might want to address the nature of the insomnia, rather than overdosing on antihistamines, which is all that over the counter sleep remedies are.

You can take one or maybe two tablets of Unisom safely, but I'm really reaching--I'm guessing you have done this and it hasn't worked.

Anitihistamines have always had the often unpleasant side effects of making people drowsy. And for some, insomnia is just a rare tossing and turning night of being unable to doze off. For them, something that makes them a little drowsy is just fine. They are still, eyelids droopy and they are able to drift off.