This question has also been asked and answered here:
How long does prednisone stay in your system for... I have bronchitis?
18 Feb 2010
the half life is roughly 4 hours. The prednisone should be tapered slowly and never stopped abruptly if you have been on it for over 2 weeks and were are a high dose. if you took it for 2-3 days you should be fine. The higher the dose and the longer you are on the drug the slower the taper. The drug itself should be out of your body less than 24 hours but flair ups can result if not tapered. Hope this helps.
14 Jun 2011
The elimination half life of prednisone is around 3 to 4 hours. This is the time it takes for your body to reduce the plasma levels by half.
It usually takes around 5.5 half lives for a drug to be completely eliminated from your system.
With that in mind you could expect a dose or prednisone to be out of your system 16.5 to 22 hours later.
Other factors also need to be taken into account and include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.
Hope this is of help.
- Prednisone Information for Consumers
- Prednisone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Prednisone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
im taking the prednisone and cyclosporine so that it will tamper with the ammune system so the auto ammune system will stop, i know the risk of ...
1 answer • 13 Jun 2010
I suffer from migraines and occasionally get an injection of Torodol which works great. I was told today that they couldn't give me any at this ...
1 answer • 17 Jun 2010
... long does Prednisone stay in the system. Will the thinning skin go away?
1 answer • 21 Jul 2010
My daughter has been taking Ambien for a couple of years and it quit working and Medicaid no longer pays for it. She quit taking it 6 days ago. We ...
3 answers • 20 Nov 2010
2 answers • 28 Mar 2011