How long does gabapentin take to actually get going in your system? Does it need to build up?

Hey delira,

Yes, the gabapentin does need to build in the system some. You should notice some results in a week or so and it may continue to get better with continued use.

Best wishes,

Laurie

peggylee 12 Jun 2011

Hey delira,
I've been on gabapentin for approx. 1 1/2 years and my level of pain prior to getting diagnosed was a 10 out of 1-10. I have peripherial neuropathy in my feet. I did't think it would work, they won't give me anything stronger for my pain but I can say with the continued regular dosage of 4 pills a day my pain level is now 4. So, keep up the with the prescription as told to you and if it is not getting better LET the doctor know and get it regulated, I was at my wits end till I found out it was, it will always be with me they say but know I can consentrate on fixing some of my other problems. I 48 and would like to be able enjoy a few years till it's time to go. But my thoughts will be you.

delira 14 Jun 2011

Thank you Laurie, I appreciate your input.

Thanks again,
Delira

Anonymous

If taking for nerve pain the doctor usually start you at 300mg for one week & if you don't seem to have to many side effects will increase another 300mgs. weekly until you feel relief. This can take a month or longer. Each person is different & will react differently...

Anonymous 9 Jun 2011

I am on Gabapentin 600mg (300mg twice a day). I started it 2 1/2 weeks ago at 300mg and just raised it to 600mg a day 3 days ago. I am doing GREAT!!

For me this is to treat migraine as a preventative. I am hoping it will work. I seem to be having more "good" days and more productive days.

I like the gabapentin, it seems to "calm" my brain, like a soothing balm or something. Anyway, it seems like the "Firestorm /Electrical Storm" that was always in my head seems to be quieter. Less pain makes for a more productive human being and a happier one :)

Anonymous 9 Jun 2011

Glad to hear that! Never heard of it used for migraine. Did a neurologist prescribe it for you? Maybe he had an idea something else was going on up there.I had migraine for over 35 years & all I wanted to do was put my head in a cement crusher!, but Immitrex shots stopped mine on the spot, & with each shot they got less frequent & less severe until they completely stopped. Am glad the gabepetin is working for you...

Hi yes it takes a while they gave me 300mg 2a day for a mouth then went up 2four times a day and now its up to 2 every hours and doctor is still talking about going up for fibroidmyalga .I have read so many posts about how awful it is getting off this drug
I would read some of the peoples post about what they went though because of this drug coming off it. I don't take it even though I'm surpose to because I don't want to go threw all the things they did.