Can I use gabapentin 300 mg cap amneal for toothache or tooth pain??

It probably won't help. Things like Motrin our aleve would be more appropriate.

Thank-you for your help:)

Gabapentin is not for acute pain. It is only good in chronic pain and it has to be taken for a while to help. It wont help tooth pain.

DzooBaby 2 Apr 2013

Gabapentin is actually an anticonvulsant drug that is used in chronic pain. It is not an analgesic.

daisylilicortez 2 Apr 2013

What about if it swelling will work with that?

i have a toothache and inflamation in my gums need to know what i can take. I have gabapentin from a recent knee injury. I also have naproxen will it help?

REDWOOD34 1 Nov 2014

yes it will take 600 mg gabapentin and a few tramadol if u have them

I know it's been awhile, but these posts stay up, so here is my two cents. Gabapentin is primarily used to treat epileptic seizures, but it has an application in chronic pain practices. It's supposed to soothe the nerves, thereby causing less pain. The problem for using it for a toothache is that the dose required for it to be effective for nerve pain takes awhile for a person to adjust to. Most doctors start patients on 300 mg a day, increasing the medication every 3-5 days. At 900 mg ( say 1-2 weeks out), you will still be at a sub-therapeutic level insufficient for the medication to do much good. Gabapentin (brand name Neurontin) only becomes effective at higher doses and is usually at its optimal level at about 2400 mg, depending on person, size, and a whole bunch more. This is NOT medical advice, just responsive to the use of the medication for tooth pain.